Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Christmas Stockings for Troops

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
Georgiapeach

Christmas Stockings for Troops

Post by Georgiapeach » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:49 pm

Those of you who would like to join in making Christmas stockings for the troops in Iraq I thought I'd post a few quidelines. Some of you have already started making them and that is wonderful! I've been told not to use any religious fabrics, so let's avoid those. We want them to arrive without any problems! Snowflakes, Santas, poinsettias, candy canes, solid colors, anything like that will be great. Since I'm going to be making so many, my DH is going to make a template for me from masonite so I can rotary cut around it. Thanks Cathy for that tip!!! I'm going to use the full-size pattern for the Strip Stocking that's in Christmas at Bear's Paw Ranch book. It's 17"x14". We are in the process of gathering all the info we'll need to send these over, but in the meantime I thought I should start this for those who want to start sewing stockings now. I'm going to start sewing in the meantime, too, so we can get a head start on this. Later on I'll post more specific details, like the # of stockings we'll need, etc... I'd like to send as many as we can. Thanks to everyone who is working on this, and those who already have some in the mail to me! WOW!

QIAD-Linda

Re: Christmas Stockings for Troops

Post by QIAD-Linda » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Count me in! I know I am good for at least 12, maybe more! So happy to be a part of this project for our troops.

Thanks Georgiapeach for heading this up!

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Yahoo! We're off-n-running with it! I've had several ladies message me already saying they had stockings ready to mail to me....how exciting is that???!!! WOW! Let's bring our troops a little Christmas cheer and brighten their day with our support and reach as many of them as we can!

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Count me in please! DH got my template cut and I will start on Monday if not before. WOOHOO! This really excites me since I did not get in on the ones made for IowaGal's Son & his group. Anything to make their Christmas brighter.

SewGlad

Post by SewGlad » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:22 am

I am in. I will keep checking the posts. It will give me an excuse to focus on our troops and to use that holiday fabric I couldn't live without.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:02 am

I'm in. Do you know what your deadline date is yet? Those are pretty good sized stockings. Did I read correctly, that you are filling them GP? What are you putting in the stockings? Do you need $$ towards that?

amp123

Post by amp123 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:03 am

Where can I go to get the pattern for this project? I missed out on the first time around. Would like to get in on this time around. Thanks.

HugANurse

Post by HugANurse » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:04 am

Count me in, the last one was too much fun to pass up another chance.

Bobbi

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:48 am

Ok, you can print the free pattern here on the website and then enlarge it to the size you want, or if you have the book Christmas at Bear's Paw Ranch the full size pattern is in the back of the book. That one is 17"x14", a pretty good size one. These don't have to all be the exact same size, but I'd like them to be a good enough size to cram chalk full of goodies. If you've already made some and they aren't this size, no problem, we need stockings and any and all will be greatly appreciated. If you haven't made them yet, try to make them approx. 17"x14", give or take a couple inches. DH and I are going to provide the stuffers. It would cost a lot more postage for ya'll to ship stuffers with your stockings, so I thought it'd be easier to send stockings to me and we'd stuff them from here. If anyone would like to contribute towards the shipping costs from here to Iraq, that would be great, but is not expected at all. And if you want to include any special stuffers with your stockings, feel free to do so. If you don't already have the book Christmas at Bear's Paw Ranch, this would be a great opportunity to treat yourself to it! It's full of wonderful gifts to make for Christmas. I don't have any specifics yet about # of stockings needed, but all we can manage to get will definitely go to the troops and there's a bunch of them over there, so sew away! LOL! I will take tons of picures for ya'll, we will line the stockings up in our warehouse and I hope it looks like a Santa's workshop! Thank you all for participating! When my granddaughter hears of this she is going to be thrilled, I can guarantee you she will immediately put on her boa and tiara and dress up Daisy, too, and hit her Featherweight full speed! LOL!

SusieQ51

Post by SusieQ51 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:54 am

While I will be making the stockings, I will most likely included them in boxes that we send to our nephew-in-law (is tht a word?) He was just sent back to Iraq for his second tour. I would greatly appreciate the pattern.

I also plan to working on Cool Ties to send over also. The temps are REALLY HOT and with full combat gear on, I cannot imagine how they put up with the heat and survive!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”