Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Christmas Stockings for Troops

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
Georgiapeach

Re: Christmas Stockings for Troops

Post by Georgiapeach » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:55 am

Ok, update on Christmas stockings. As of this moment in time, I have 108 stockings in my grubby hands, total count!!! And a bunch are on their way, will update count as they arrive!

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:46 am

Update: Received 12 more GORGEOUS stockings today! New total is 120!!! Thanks QIAD-Linda, they are absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:58 am

Oh my gosh, just got home from work and there were 12 more gorgeous stockings on the porch!!!! That brings our total up to 132 now! Woo-hoo, cruising right along!!!! I went to message the person who sent them and discovered I don't know who it is!!! Don't want to post any names, but it is an A.P. in Kansas. Please let me know your forum username because I can't thank you...message me! I hate that I'm so bad with names, but I know everyone by their usernames and just don't make the connections if you use your real name!! LOL!

Oh I got so excited today, I received a nice long e-mail from one of the Sargeants in Iraq where we're sending 90 of these stockings! What a personable fellow he is and it was wonderful hearing from him. He responded to my e-mail about what they would most like in their stockings, and he said SNACKS!!! And sent me a specific list of favorites they would love to receive! He said they have an abundance of a lot of the items that are listed on the internet lists, and that they were wanting snacks and looking forward to them so much! He is going to send me a list of names, too, so I can personalize the stockings. What I'm going to do is hand-make some Christmas cards (emboss them using rubberstamps, oh gosh I have some goodies to make them so neat...what fun!)and attach one to each stocking with ribbon and jingle bells, and I will print on the inside of each card that it's from the QIAD forum members. I have a perfect stamp to use, it's a Christmas patriotic one and will be just perfect. I will make these cards really special to represent all of us, because this is truly a joint effort! I'll post a pic of the cards ahead of time for ya'll to see, too. What I might do, time permitting, is make up several different cards and post pics of them and let ya'll vote on which one you like best. And if I run too short on time, then I'll be the judge and just post a pic for ya'll to see! ROFLOL!!! Also, I asked the Sargeant when would be the best time to mail out these stockings. I've had several conflicting dates, so I thought I'd let him direct me on it. While I wait for his reply, we'll go ahead and fill the stockings and be getting them ready to ship out...and when I hear back from him we'll act on it. We're still waiting to hear back from a couple more we've contacted, and grammy65 has sent me the address of 161 to send to in Afghanistan. Oh my gosh, this is REALLY getting exciting now that it's all coming together! I've got enough stockings to post the next batch of pics for ya'll, so I'll try to get it done tomorrow, if I can.

I cannot thank ya'll enough for all the contributions you've so generously provided. Each and every one of you who has contributed to this project is making it such a success. The feedback I am getting is that the troops are so appreciative of what we are all doing and it means a great deal to them. As most of you can tell from my posts over the months, I am an exciteable little cuss....so when I got the e-mail today I was whooping and hollering in my office so loud that everyone came rushing in to see what the commotion was about! And then they got excited, too! And of course, I had to cry, I always cry, that's just what I do when I get excited. Seems I just have so much excitement contained that it has to come out every which way possible, and I gotta hug evryone in sight, then last resort start crying, too! RESERVED....I'm NOT!! ROFLOL!!!!! But, you know that. Thanks ya'll for everything!!!

mequilter9158

Post by mequilter9158 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:57 pm

Gee, thanks GP, you've got me crying now, too!! How wonderful this is to be participating in. Please let us know if you need us to do anything more to help you out!! You really are a "peach!!"

me

teacupdelights

Post by teacupdelights » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:48 pm

Found Strip Stocking pattern--is that the right one???

Do you want just this pattern, or can we use another as long as it is the right size???

Great idea for the troops.

Itchn2Bstitchn

Post by Itchn2Bstitchn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:58 pm

if it's not too late, I'd love send a few also

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:59 am

Thanks mequilter, that was sweet! Itchn2Bstitchn, there's always room for more, thanks so much! teacupdelights, you may use any pattern that you would like. Some of the ladies have sent solid front stockings, we have all kinds of variety and they are all just adorable. If ya'll have any questions, feel free to message me or someone else here will be happy to help you, too. Welcome and thanks for your help!

quiltwithmom

Post by quiltwithmom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:06 am

GP,
This is such a wonderful project you and your husband are doing. You are very gracious and generous. I know the feeling you get from giving to others. Especially our military! I too shed a tear when I think about this project and you must be so overwhelmed when a package of stockings comes to you. Just knowing how many great people we have here sending these to you. God bless you for doing this and all of you for helping! Our soldiers need every one of us to stand behind them and support them, no matter what we think of this war.
I have made stockings and sent them to a small group of soliders. Mostly the ones that don't get things from home. I have a couple of other 'Marine moms' that help me. A very small scale compared to what you are doing.
My stockings are on the way to you! My son is a Marine! I know what it means to them.
Hugs to all,
Kathy

akeleyquilter

Post by akeleyquilter » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:28 am

GP
If my group can donate any "Snacks" please let me know. We would
be happy to help you fill the stockings.

Karen

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:51 am

Oh my gosh, our stocking total is up to 140 now! Yippee! The mail came today and 8 more gorgeous stockings arrived! Kathy, ditto everything you said, it is such a wonderful, feel-good project, and you voiced my sentiments exactly....it is not about our opinion of the war, it is entirely about supporting our men and women who are fighting for us. akeleyquilter, it would be fabulous if ya'll want to donate snack fillers for these stockings! You Go Girl!! Woo-hoo! A few of the snacks they've requested are peanuts, spicy peanuts, beef jerky, and pre-sweetened kool-aid packets. Any snacks they can carry in their backpacks, like trail mix, etc... Thanks everyone so very much for your contributions and help, this is just wonderful! Keep sewing! LOL!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”