Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

flannel fat quarter swap-transfer from general

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
Georgiapeach

Re: flannel fat quarter swap-transfer from general

Post by Georgiapeach » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:06 pm

SewSew, check out the website and if you have any questions about the rag quilt, message me and I'll help you if I can. You can make all the same size squares or mix them up with rectangles and different sizes, etc... When you sew the X across each individual block, you can also use a decorative stitch, that looks nice. It goes easier when you use your walking foot to join the squares together. When you're sewing the blocks together and come to the "intersection", backstitch several times before the "intersection" for strength so the seams don't unravel. After you've sewn all the blocks and rows together, then you'll clip the 1" seam allowance around each block and around the whole quilt. I use the Fiskars rag quilt snips, and the Heritage stainless steel snips are very nice, too. The rag quilt snips are great because it's far less wear-n-tear on your hands, and the snips are the same length as the seam you're going to cut, so it goes faster and is accurate. And don't forget to seam around the entire quilt edge when you're finished. It will look really ugly at this stage, but once you wash and dry it, the fringe will "frizz up" and then it'll look like it's supposed to! It's a good idea to stop the dryer a couple times during the cycle to clean the lint trap, that flannel really builds up. And you'll also have some lint in the washer, too. I usually take the quilt outside and shake it really good after the wash before I put it in the dryer, it gets a whole lot of it off before it even goes into the dryer. These are really fun to make and after your first one you'll love making them.

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:15 am

Georgiapeach, thanks for the information and tips. I checked out the web site last night and the directions seem really easy to follow. I just happen to have some fiskar rag quilt snips that I bought a couple of months ago on sale and have not used yet.

BarbieJean

Post by BarbieJean » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Got home from the cabin tonight and had a surprise waiting for me in the mailbox. The flannels are great. Was not sure what to expect as this was my first swap, was not disappointed. Fabric was great. Will be checking out the web site for the rag quilt pattern.

Nadine thanks for hosting this you did a great job. Thanks for the help you gavwe me along the way.

Georgiapeach: thanks for the directions to the web site for the pattern.

mequilter9158

Post by mequilter9158 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:24 pm

Received my flannels today at work. They are absolutely gorgeous...the boss had to come and look at them, too. Got her started quilting a few months ago. Not sure what I'm going to make with them yet, but, it's definitely going to be for me with the cold winter nights coming soon. Thanks, Bev........you did an awesome job!!

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Looks like everyone is getting theirs back quickly. Your all very welcome! I love hosting these swaps it's alot of fun!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”