Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

February Lotto

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
WeSignificant

February Lotto

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:09 am

Hello and Welcome to February! First of all, take a deep breath, this block is easier than it looks. It was requested by one of us and I always try to complete requests. So if there is a block you want to try, let me know. Once you click on the link, then click on Christmas Blossom and it will take you to a PDF that you can download and print if you would like. Otherwise just use from your screen. Please read to the end for hints. I tried with smaller pictures and they just wouldn't work. So sorry for the big ones!

We will use WOW or light background. As close to white as you have, with Springy colors. Here is the link.

KathyR - 6
Valerie - 4
Maryq - 6
Lori - 3
Chriss - 3
Tina - 2

https://thisandthatpatterns.typepad.com ... ossom.html

and my block

This block does require precision when cutting and sewing.

1. When cutting, the line on your ruler should be on your fabric, not next to it. This ensures you get a full size piece to work with.

2. If you are cutting correctly, you should not have to do a scant 1/4 inch seam. To check the accuracy of your seam, sew 3 2 1/2 inch strips together along the long end (they don't need to be anymore than 6 inches long). Carefully press, then measure. It should measure 6 1/2 inches across. If not adjust your needle position until it does come out 6 1/2 inches.

Another color thread would have shown better.

3. The thickness of your thread can also affect the size of your block. I use Aurafil 50 wt which is thin but strong. There are many quality threads out there and each machine has it's preference.

4. Slow down the speed on your machine. Remember slow and steady wins the race!

You can all do this! Please ask if you have any questions. Best way to contact me is through text messaging. Let me know if you don't have my number.
Last edited by WeSignificant on Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

gershwin64

Re: February Lotto

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:27 am

Valerie, love this block, it's so pretty! I don't think I've ever seen it before. I'll see if I can make some.
Tina

Oh, I had to laugh, you can't get your pictures smaller and I can't get mine bigger LOL

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:57 am

I like this block. I've never seen it either. I'll definitely give it a try.
Lori 8-)

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:23 pm

Valerie, It is very different and pretty. I will see if I have some spring colors on board or at the house.
Lyn

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:43 pm

Oh I hope you do Lyn.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:45 pm

great block. I will also give it a shot. I've printed out the directions so am half way there.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:03 am

Excellent start Chriss

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:20 am

Holy Moly Rockie!!!

That is a beautiful block!!! Tell me again how easy it is! :lol: :lol:

I printed out the directions and will give it shot... but I make no guarantees! :lol: :lol:

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 am

I've got the pattern printed out. I'd sure like to try it today, hopefully that will happen 🤞
Tina

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:14 am

It is not hard, just have to slow down and pay attention. Accuracy is helpful. I am almost done with my 2nd one. Things have lined up just as they should on both blocks. Big half square triangles are 5 inches unfinished and littler ones 3 inches. I have not had to square up though.

Picture the end product, a quilt full of blossoms! Just what we need right now.

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”