Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

October lotto

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
maryq

Re: October lotto

Post by maryq » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:39 pm

Ok You guys

I give up, I surrender, I call "uncle" If I EVER want a Log Cabin quilt, I'm going to hire of you guys to make it for me! After 3 failed attempts are getting the "as close to perfect as possible" Log Cabin blocks... I give up!

So I'm on to Plan B... maybe I'll practice some HST's instead. . I grabbed El's Fab 40's book and picked out a block to test my hst skills on.. IF and WHEN I get a couple really really good blocks done, I'll photo and post! Until then.... You'll find me drowning my sorrows in a glass of diet coke--only because I have no wine in the house! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:52 pm

Beautiful block Lori,

Maryq, I am in your boat when it comes to the log cabin. I pulled out my fab 40 book and also my LC ruler that goes with the book. I was going to give it a shot next week. Send good vibes my way.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:27 pm

Gorgeous Lori!

I have found a LC ruler very helpful. Also El's method can be useful too.

Looking forward to seeing all these blocks.

Kathy when did you last win? With any luck I sent you the blocks :roll:
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:29 am

OK, after abandoning the log cabin idea... Here's the what I've come up with so far!

this block is from Pat Sloan's Wednesday Block freebie called Autumn something... can't remember

the next two are from one of El's books that I also can't remember and it way in the other room and I'm too lazy to get up and look.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:34 am

Funny Mary, I pulled out my LC ruler and it's still sitting on my table. I started on a Lori Holt block yesterday. Not sure what was up with my sewing machine but it's like the motor slowed down and wouldn't just sew. So, I pulled out a small machine that I bought at a thrift strore. the thread kept breaking. But I finished the block, it measures about 12 and nto nearly 12.5 inches. On the bright side, today is a new day. I'm going to try to do it again.

Your blocks are gorgeous.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:48 am

Excellent Maryq, I thought about trying that Pat Sloan block too! When you figure out the memory issue, please let me know, I have the same issue! :lol:

Chriss hoping that machine perks up. Have you cleaned out the lint? rethread? New needle?

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:29 am

Chriss, does your machine have a speed control? Maybe you moved it by accident?

I'm watching from the sidelines, cheering you all on. I can't take on anything else this year with doing the Christmas quilts for the grands and the other Christmas sewing I'm doing.

Tina

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:24 am

I've made a couple log cabin quilts. They are not my favorite to sew, (so boring,) but I love the look of them. I use the Accuquilt die to cut out my blocks. It makes it faster and easier. Accurate seams are the key to success. You can put tape down or a stack of post-its to keep your seam straight.

Lori 8-)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:10 pm

Lori can't wait to see them

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:17 am

VAL - I've stopped by the forum twice to tell you I sent in 4 lotto blocks and each time got lost in rabbit holes! So, the blocks are on their way to you. I mailed them Wed morning.

CHRISS - My machine was suddenly sewing very slowly, too. I'd accidentally hit the speed control slide button. I hope that's all it is with yours. And everyone is right - accurate SCANT 1/4" seams are the key to log cabins. And sometimes I do have trouble with the longer logs bowing. Not sure why that is. I also cut my logs a bit longer than called for, and I trim, iron, and square up after each log. As Lori said, they can be a bit boring, but I kind of go into a zen place and listen to my audio book while I sew..

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”