Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

August Lotto

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
WeSignificant

August Lotto

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:43 pm

Valerie - 4
Maryz - 6
KathyR - 2
Maryq - 4
Lori - 4
Chriss - 4

Welcome to August, where is this year going, Hoping you have all you little pieces of fabric cut and ready to go. This month we will be doing "River Scraps" quilt block. Most commonly known as Arizona Crossroads with a few differences in the corners, River Scraps is just one block, crossroads is actually two if made in the tradition method. Here is the link to the pattern. It comes in both 9 and 12 inches finished, We will be doing the 12 inch block.

https://conniekresin.com/river-scraps-quilt-block/

She has several other interesting things on her website if you want to look around. Here are 3 of my 4 blocks. (4th is not quite done)

You might ask, what is that little four patch doing there. Well this is what we don't want to see. The squares are not butted up correctly and edges don't match. This is our practice item this month. Butting seams accurately and matches edges.

Fabric rules - you must use 100% cotton. Feel free to stick a batik or 4 in there. Attempt to not duplicate any fabric in the 16 patch part of the block. Lights should be WOW or creams. You can scrappy them too if you want, I made 4 patches, swirled the seams on the back of those and then sewed into the 16 patch. Please watch pressing so all your seams will butt together. I did press the last seam of the 16 patch open and pressed the 1/2 square triangle open.

As always if you have questions please ask.
Last edited by WeSignificant on Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Marilynsgrammy

Re: August Lotto

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:29 pm

I love, love, love this block. One of my very favorites. So excited. Perfect choice Valerie.

Lori and Maryz, you might look at the website and in the applique section see if you see a cat or two.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:15 am

OH boy do I have the squares for this one!!!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:01 am

Valerie, this looks like a fun block. Wish I had more fabric variety on board.

I wanted to note something that I have recently dealt with. I'm working on the Autumn Tints blocks and some of my 4 patches weren't lining up, looking a bit like your no no 4 patch. When I checked the ones coming out perfect, some of the fabric was turned. I haven't taken the time to determine if it's the length or width, or warp or weft, that sews together better, but one way seems to stretch when sewing. I hope that makes sense.
Lyn

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:12 am

Lyn join as you can. Check with a shop near you and ask what they do with their scraps.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:19 am

I pulled out my "squares box" and if I stack them up, I have 18" of 2-1/2" squares. I ought to be able to manage a few blocks! :lol:

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:46 am

Valerie, if I get back up to Kenora, I will check. It's a hundred miles round trip. Oh, and the speed is 50 mph. It takes forever to get there and back.
Lyn

keremondini

Post by keremondini » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 pm

Now that I have my Christmas swap done. I am ready to tackle this block. Looks like fun. Good choice Valerie. KathyRe

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:23 am

That's a lot of squares Mary!

Uhm Lyn that is a long way for scraps. Antioch shop places all their's in a barrel. Then you can stuff a quart bag for $2.

Kathy looking forward to see what you come up with

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:10 am

Before I forget this morning, Here is Lois's Lotto block!
Looks perfect to me!

Went through my scrap bucket last night while watching TV and will be able to stitch up a few this weekend!!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”