Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Welcome to January 2023 Lotto

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
WeSignificant

Welcome to January 2023 Lotto

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:22 am

Valerie - 3 so far
Izzy - following along
Chriss - 4 in the mail ( might be delivered)
Lori - 4 to mail
Lyn - signed up using large florals
Vel - 4 mailed
Maryq - 4
Katy - thinking
KathyR - 4

I have contemplated what we could do different for this year. Seems like we do a lot of the same things every year. I think most of us have holiday quilts and what not so thinking I will stray from those this year. I am going to focus more on different skills and techniques. While we are all accomplished quilters, never hurts to practice. Will be looking for some fresh new blocks to make. Will try to start simple. (of course that is different depending on who you are!) I figure if I can do it, anyone can do it! :lol:

So for January we will start with a Bento Box block. Here is a youtube video that is very helpful. https://youtu.be/tNJvrIgo9dQ. Please use this for your instructions. I find it nice to be able to back up and rewatch something.

So what are we practicing? Well, accurate cutting. For this one, cut a thread or two bigger and a scant 1/4 inch seam which means a thread or two smaller. When cutting, your ruler line should be ON your fabric, not next to it. Also, seam matching is important in this block. But the most important, PAY ATTENTION! It is very easy to get things turned around here. Iron to the colored fabrics. So lots of things to practice. The first one may take a bit of time but once you have done one, it gets easier.

Fabric choices, light background such as off white, light creams. Florals for the other parts. It calls for dark and medium fabrics but as long as the two are contrasting, it works fine. Here is the first one I made. Will post the second once a get a picture. As long as there is something in your fabric that looks like a flower, it is okay.

Last edited by WeSignificant on Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:15 am, edited 10 times in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

billizzy

Re: Welcome to January 2023 Lotto

Post by billizzy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:27 am

I plan to follow along each month and make these for a scrappy throw at end of year 😉 with my hectic life and the cost of postage I won’t be able to send in but will make and learn with rest of you 🥰
🐐izzy

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:57 am

I am thinking of making an extra block each month for a quilt at the end of the year.

You are welcome Izzy in any capacity you are comfortable with.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:59 am

Here is block 2. Med and dark choices of fabrics. Sorry about the shadows. DH hasn't moved the lights yet.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:13 am

Great idea to make an extra block for a sampler type quilt. If blocks are not all the same size there could be filler blocks or sashing added. Maybe I will copy you.

I also love a video to follow along with, rewinding is such a blessing.

My goal is to empty my scrap bins during the lotto. I do have a bit of floral fabric that I can use for this one. fun fun fun.

Chriss
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:24 am

Welcome aboard Chriss. I am going to try and stick to 12 1/2 in blocks this year

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:15 am

put me down for a few.
I've never made this block before.
Lori 8-)

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:17 am

Are bigger flowers Ok or are we staying little?
Lyn

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:30 am

I think any flowers are nice. Good to have a variety

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:27 pm

Here's mine. I will make one more for myself.

Val, I will never ever have an empty scrap bin. They are so full now that they don't have lids
Psalm 91

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”