Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

HINTS page for SECRET SANTA 2022

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
gershwin64

HINTS page for SECRET SANTA 2022

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:23 am

Name: Tina

Choice #1. 4 Placemats regular size I would think, either Halloween, Spring or 4th of July
Choice #2. Tabletopper 18" or smaller square or round, (I have a smallish table), either in Spring, Easter, St Patty or anything fun!
Choice #3. Pot Holders, Christmas theme, Spring, Summer.....I can really use any theme in pot holders

My favorite colors are: Purple, Green, Mauve
Favorite fabrics are: gosh I love so many! I love 30's, novelty, paisleys, fun happy fabrics!

Not really my cup of tea: crazy retro fabrics

A small little item that I may wish for: any charm or FQ friendly pattern, fusible, 1/4" heat and bond

I can always use: a seam ripper, curved safety pins, rotary blades

Please write a little paragraph about you and maybe what plans for the next year as far as what you would like to accomplish. ........If you were to sit on Santa's Lap... what would you ask him to bring you. I'm sure you all agree that Christmas has become quite "commercialized" but this is our chance to get back to what is important.... the love we share.
Mine is:
I'm a mom of 2, Grandma of 5, I have 2 cats and 2 dogs and 1 DH, LOL can't forget him. I help take care of my dad. My birthday is Dec 8th (that's why I started opening week on that day LOL) I truly LOVE made things from you to me! I personally think they are THE BEST! If you have a pattern or magazine that you're finished with or no longer want I'd be happy with it! I love charm packs, jelly rolls, FQ's and layer cakes, but I love yardage or half yards too LOL I'm just like you, I'm crazy happy over fabrics! My favorite holiday is Christmas! I'm a little Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation Crazy Person LOL! My sewingroom is my happy place. I always have UFO's just in case I run out of things to do 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 so those are always on my to do list for the year and upcoming years. I do a lot of cooking, baking and playing with grands and furrkids. If there's anything else you'd like to know about me just pm me and ask.

Again... If you have any questions... please let me know!
Last edited by gershwin64 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Marilynsgrammy

Re: HINTS page for SECRET SANTA 2022

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:22 am

Name: Chriss
updated 9/27/22

Before I make my choices, I want to say please don't go out and buy fabric to make something for me. Please use your scraps, the more colorful the better. I promise that whatever you make I will love. If you would rather make something other than what is listed below, go for it. I will treasure whatever is in my SS package.

Choice #1 potholders, any color, use scraps, any shape, any amount.
Choice #2 A table topper for the microwave. use scraps
Choice #3 quilters choice. scrappy multi colors. Surprise me.

I'm looking for a pattern to make a sort of cross body water bottle holder with a kind of pouch or wallet thing on the front of it so I can take my water, keys, some money and my ID with a few cards and not have to carry a purse, has anyone seen anything like that? I'm going to add this to my hints. Sorry Santa for the late update.

My favorite colors are Green, red, yellow and orange and all the rest of the colors too.

Favorite fabrics are I love just about everything. bright, dull, fall, cheery, 30's, civil war, black, white, solids, prints, novelty, flowers, plaids, paisley's, etc.

Not my really my cup of tea: glitter, oriental, or shiny fabric.

A small little item that I may wish for: fabric to make 2 1/2-inch, 5-inch charms or 2 1/2-inch strips from your scraps, I'm looking for variety. Something in your sewing room you no longer need.

I can always use: small scissors, a pin cushion, straight pins, etc. I collect thimbles and pin cushions.

I'm a 59-year-old wife, daughter, mom, grandma and mother-in-law, not necessarily in that order. I have a dog, Moose. I try to keep track of my dad and stepmom by taking dinner to their house each week, I call it dinner with the parents. My God and my family are the most important things in my life. I truly love my life, where I live and who my friends and family are.

I'm very involved in HICAP and have also been appointed to the Commission on Aging and the Advisory Council on Aging for my county. Iam also involved with Golden Agers, supporting activities for our senior population. I'm trying to be a senior advocate since I've been retired and am thinking about the legislative side of it, maybe a spokesperson for senior rights. Still learning about that. I would really like to be a voice for change.

I love SS and have many past SS gifts in my sewing room hanging on the walls, or in use in the house. They often make me smile. I would much rather have a hand me down something or a homemade something than a purchased something.

My goal for the upcoming year is to sew like a wild woman. I'd like to make at least 4 quilts (dad, son, granddaughter, and me) and to continue to be an advocate for senior citizens. Oh, and get in lots of thrift store shopping.
Exodus 33:14

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:49 pm

:P Thank You....Tina...Our new Queen of Christmas!!

Name: Kathy

Choice #1 Tabletopper......any size or shape, table is round any size or shape will look good. Yellow, red scraps, log cabin.
Choice #2 Placemats....cheerful scraps
Choice #3 Potholders......I like mitt, round or Square. Like scrappy, stains do not show.
Heat proof.

My favorite colors: red, yellow, blue, green.....learning to like light orange.

My favorite fabrics: 40/30 retro, CW, strips, plaids, flowers, Dimples.

Not my cup of tea::: batiks//beautiful not good for hand quilting, animals, shiny stuff
applied to the top fabric.

Small little items to wish for: sewing magnets, any color fabric pen to make labels, something you would like to share, a pattern for topper or pillow, long pillow.

I can always use: someone to help clean/reorganize the sewing room, some little ornament
made of fabric, quilting themed paper.

About me! Santa bring my girls both home for Christmas....DD2 can bring her family :D
I'm a Mom of 2(MA & TX), Grandma of 2(in TX)Susannah-16 & Heath-14, good friend, a child of God! No pets but I did see a spider I was unable to get!
My big goal is to move my sewing room around, take the lg roll top desk out, free up some room to put projects I'm working on. Projects? the 2 "You are My Sunshine" kits for my DDs.
Like others I love things made by my quilty friends make me. It means a lot to see them around my home.

Love you all you mean the world to me a wonderful place to belong

Kathysquilts

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:59 am

It's not my real name, but I've been called MARY all my life.

My #1 choice: any length runner, but measuring only about 12 to 13" wide for my buffet. The colors in my dining room are light blue, light sage, and delicate floral. OR....I could use one with a Thanksgiving, July 4th, or cat theme for my 60" oval table. OR. . . a runner for my downstairs 20x60" bar where my colors are forest green, brick red, beige, brown, plaids, pine/cones, wine (think cabin in the woods where we drink wine in front of the fire.🍷🔥 :D ). OR...We also have a 20x36" coffee table in that room (really a beat up old chest) that could use a runner or topper of some kind to hide all the scuff and scratch marks.

My #2 choice:a table topper for the "cabin room" for 20x25" table between our recliners.

My #3 choice: I don't need placemats, but I could use pot-holders (cat or wine themed) OR... a set of 3 mug rugs (about 6x8~ish) for my 3 small end tables in my afore-mentioned "cabin room" . . .

LOTS of tables so LOTS of choices! :lol:

My favorite colors: greens, blues, turquoise, purple, lavender, bits of yellow.

Fabrics I love: 30's, Civil War, Americana, floral, any color of plaids, stripes, polka dots, Fairy Frost, bandana prints, Christmas, all other holidays, cat, batiks, landscaping prints (rock, wood, ferns, trees, cones, etc).

Fabrics I don't love: geometric, oversized prints, anything that looks like 70's prints.

Small item I can use: sharp pins, or a little pattern you no longer want. I have 3 Clover Yo Yo Makers but I'm missing one size - I think it's the orange one. I have blue, green, and yellow. Or a used paperback cozy mystery. I actually prefer used books, feeling they emit a good energy. Your old quilting magazines would also be great, though I already get Block, AP&Q, and McCall's. But anything different would be great fun!

Who am I? a Catholic, farm-raised, 71 yr old wife, mother, gramma. Fifth of 6 children (3 boys 3 girls) Former NICU nurse, performing dancer. Besides quilting, I like RV travel, camping, creative writing, genealogy, cross-stitch, hand embroidery, reading, cats, wine, sewing and more. I am definitely in the re-use/re-purpose club. Prices being what they are, anything from your stash that you no longer need or want would be wonderful! I hate to think of my Santa spending money on me.

Future quilting goals: I have the pattern "Labyrinth Walk" by Christopher Florence. Maybe 2023 will be the year I finally try it. And I plan to make Christmas mug rugs for my DD's staff of 30 for 2023. Some project always seems to come along.

Merry Christmas !

Mary z

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:38 am

Name: Judi ( I added the i and dropped the y in my teen years....(my mom never accepted that spelling)
Choice #1: Patriotic table runner for the 4th of July. Anything Christmas table runner,
Choice#2: Pot holders.....any fabric and theme any size,,,,,I need new ones....(I have a ton of oven mitts but prefer pot holders.)
Choice$3: Any table topper....any holiday.....you choose.

My favorite colors: trying to break out of my comfort zone,,,,lets go with mustard, or black and grey
Things I might need if you have some your not using: Any old buttons, any old wooden spools.
y favorite fabrics: ....Any cotton. stash is small now I am trying to use a lot of it up. I do love precuts...layercakes, charm packs and jelly rolls/
I dont like fairy frost metallics or glittery fabric.

Here's my story in case you dont kn0w. I am 76 yrs young been quilting since the late 70s...mother of 4 grown. grand mother to 10 mostly grown ( 3 younguns 16,14,and 12) 3 great grands, 6,1 amd 1 month, anf wife for 58 years to a really neat guy, we love camping and relaxing and are in the process of remodeling much of a hundred year old house.... I am a retired nurse ( homecare for the last 16yrs) been retired for 14 yrs, I love to listen to audible books and read cozy mysteries. I love scraps and precuts...I make yoyos when I sit and relax I also sew together hexis ( I have 1800 of them already made) ... I love your "finished with" quilting magazines,,,any of them will do. I enjoy the forum very much and love all of your stories,,,who ever is chosen to be my santa, I will love and appreciate anything you do.xxxxxooooo
PS I collect rock from all the places on earth that I have been and some places I have not been....if you can tuck a rock of anykind into my SS pakage,,,,Label it with the year and place with a sharpy or tuck into a plastic baggie.....It will be my most treasured gift....yes really.....a rock....
Last edited by grammiequilts on Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:22 pm

Name: Valerie

Choice #1: I really would like some placemats for Dad's room. No special requests for them other than male themed. He likes trains and planes, USAF veteran of 22 yrs. The Eagles are his favorite professional football team but he is more into college teams. Penn or Pittsburg state would be fine if you can find it.
Choice#2: Any table runner, blue themed. My carpet is a royal blue.
Choice #3: Whatever you can think of, I just don't need any pot holders. I have new unused ones in the cupboard.

My favorite colors: Most any that aren't orange

Things I might need if you have some your not using: TIME! LOL, if not, sharp pins (thin, not the thicker kind) sharp scissors for clipping
My favorite fabrics: ....Any cotton, batik, no orange
Not my cuppa tea: Orange

Here's my story in case you don't know. I am 65 yrs young. Been quilting since 2006...mother of 2 grown kids, grand mother to 5 all grown, 2 great grands. I am caring for my nearly 95 yr old Dad (that's a challenge) but spend as much time sewing as I can. Usually go to LQS for what we call Free Sew days. I also take a class here and there. Unfortunately I have very limited space to store much so used books and magazines a problem but small things like used patterns are great! They don't take as much space. I really am easy to please. Most anything will thrill me!

I like when people pull from their stash and supplies, it feels like they are sending a piece of themselves. Also tells me a bit about what they like.

Merry Christmas to all!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

javin22

Post by javin22 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:16 pm

Name: Vinae

Choice #1.Table topper or runner in Lodge/cabin look, or Fall colors. My table measurements are 54 x54.
Choice #2.Place mats (4) Lodge/cabin look, or fall colors
Choice #3. Bowl cozy, hot pads, or mug rugs in lodge/cabin look or fall colors
My favorite colors are: Rich reds, Dark greens, tans, beige, blues. Basically north woods, nature colors
Favorite fabrics are: Deer, cabins, elk, bear, moose, buffalo check, rustic, fall, anything cabin/lodge style. Blenders, mirage, tonal.

Not really my cup of tea: pastels, Asian, paisley, geometric, plain solids.

A small little item that I may wish for: mug rug

I can always use: scraps in my favorite colors

I am a wife, mother, and grandma. I have been sewing since I was in seventh grade. I worked in sewing factories for decades making clothing. I also did home interiors for people on the side and I had my own line of little girls dresses that I designed back in the 80's and made and sold at boutiques etc . I Did wedding dresses and wedding line dresses for people and many other clothing and home interiors. I made about a hundred puff quilts back in the 90's for people. I found myself to be an empty Nester and started sewing the pieced quilts steadily, in 2001. I had done some before sporadically, through the decades, but then it became a passion in 2001. I have a long arm quilting machine so I can finish my quilts but it isn't my favorite thing to do. I joined quilt in a day and started swapping in 2007.

For the next year, I am hoping to get my passion for sewing back again, as I have lost it for the last couple of years. I want to finish more swap quilts that we have done in the past and be able to use them.
I might ask Santa for scraps to make another fall leaf or fall tree quilt. I love, love, love, scrappy quilts in fall colors.
To my Secret Santa: Please don't feel you have to go buy stuff for me, just use your stash if possible. I will be happy with anything you make for me.
Last edited by javin22 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:39 pm

Okay Gals

Here are my hints for 2022~ But first a HUGE thank you to Tina for taking over
Secret Santa for me ! It was always fun for me to do SS every year, but I thought after 15 years of it I'd let someone else have the fun! LOL It's a bit of commitment and I so appreciate Tina taking it on!

Mary:

Choice: #1 I have 2 end tables in my living room that belonged to my Auntie (Mom's sister) and I like to put something on them to protect them from scratches etc. They measure 18" wide by 25" in length and for now I just have some funky little things I sewed up on them. Would so love something pretty. Colors in the living room are Gray,Navy and Teal. Seasonal ones are fine too, but Christmas is my favorite.

Choice #2... A medium size oval or round table topper would be cool too, in the same colors, unless you want to do a seasonal one.. that would be cool too!

Choice #3... I have a ton of pot holders, but many are aged and ugly and stained beyond cleaning... so some fresh ones would be nice too!

Favorite colors: Navy and teal of course... but I'm open to just about anything except avocado green and orange!!

Not my cup of tea--- retro stuff, geometric etc

Small Item on wish list: well, I just bought myself a Brother Embroidery machine so any little thing that can go with that! Poly thread for example, or embroider needles which are 75/11

Can always use seams rippers, blades, those little clips.. or maybe even some 12" or larger zippers if you have some laying around that you won't use. I use them for the pencil cases!

This is me: Single (happily divorced) 3 Grown kids, 6 grand kids. Moved into a 2 bedroom townhouse from 5 bedroom house in March. Loving it!!! But the whole house has turned into a sewing HOUSE instead of just having a "sewing room". I bet my UFO pile is larger than Tina's! Have terrible ADD when it comes to sewing and have more projects that I'd like to do than I have time for.

For the record..... I am TOTALLY into "reuse, recycle and pass on"! If you have zippers you don't need, fusible interfacing, fusible fleece. Poly thread!

If you need any other info.. just ask Tina and she will ask me. so we can keep SECRET Santa ,..... Secret

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:31 am

Name: Lyn

Choice #1. 2 Table toppers 12" x 20", for new end tables OR Mug Rugs. In my Texas house I want to use Blues, greens and some purple. Spring, summer, fall, Christmas, NO Halloween please

Choice #2. Placemats, 6 would be nice but 4 is good, too.

Choice #3. Table runner, 48" should look nice on new table. Same colors and info as #1. OR Pot Holders. Same colors and info as #1

My favorite colors are: Blue, Purple, Green, most anything

Favorite fabrics are: Batiks, small flowers/leaves, 30's, frost, most any color

Not really my cup of tea: paisleys, crazy retro fabrics, civil war, oriental

A small little item that I may wish for: A bookmark, I always misplace them and can't find when I need them :lol:

I can always use: More time

Please write a little paragraph about you :
I'm 69, married almost 20 yrs, 2 daughters/2 SILs, 4 Gkids, one sweet puppy dog. I do it all, with God's help, since DH had a stroke April 2021. We have been full time in our 45' Motorhome for many years, though Texas is home base. February we bought a house in the Texas Hill Country. We will travel as long as I feel I can drive and handle everything. The Texas house will give us roots for Dr's and such. It will be home when we stop traveling. I've become a flat lander, the high altitude of Colorado is no longer a friend.

What plans for the next year as far as what you would like to accomplish:
I want to get some of our prized possessions, especially my sewing room and fabric, moved to the Texas house, from the Colorado house aka storage shed. I want to build a Sew Shed.

I agree that Christmas is too commercialized! Whoever is my SS, please keep it simple. I prefer a smaller package that doesn't cost so much to send. I love hand'me downs, fabric, magazines and such. I don't want SS spending money on me. I prefer homemade.
Last edited by WeeOne on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:29 pm

Name: Izzy
Choice #1. Bench pillow for porch swing ( I will stuff it) farm theme with cows goats pigs chickens ducks turkeys 🥰
Choice #2. Placemats 6 farm theme earth tone colors gold barn red black
Choice #3 table runner for top of piano music theme Bible hymns 🥰 gray and black purple
You can also do kokopelli for table 🥰
Piano max 55 in
My table is 7 ft
Swing 57 in

My favorite colors are: Earth tones civil war muted fabrics fall colors

Not really my cup of tea: crazy bright fabric modern theme

A small little item that I may wish for: wool scraps, hand quilting threads, needles, metal button finger thimble sticky pads go through those fast

I can always use pins, binding clips, frixion pens

Please write a little paragraph about you and maybe what plans for the next year as far as what you would like to accomplish. ........If you were to sit on Santa's Lap... what would you ask him to bring you. I'm sure you all agree that Christmas has become quite "commercialized" but this is our chance to get back to what is important.... the love we share.
Mine is: I love to homestead canning sewing making yummies. I’d love a few of your traditional recipes bread cakes cookies 🥰 I love chocolate anything. But have all nut allergy so keep that in mind and no potatoes either unless sweet ones.

I’m 54 (😂had to ask dh) two kids my dd lives with us is special she loves dolls and dog toys she can chew on to decrease her anxiety 😟 I love making these too. No stuffing or choke hazards. I homeschool my grandson who is here all day while parents work. Live on farm work for New Mexico and Deleware schools as speech therapist. I love the beach we always vacation at one once a year. I make memorial quilts for church members so love rogue blocks you have no use for or strips and scraps. I long arm too so love pantographs. I stay busy as you know. We recently got 3 zebu miniature cows: darla(is pregnant 🥰) darci, and her calf daizy that I’m in love with…two Nigerian dwarf goats marigold and honeysuckle and lil buck Oreo with blue eyes I plan to breed for spring. Yup got piglets too they all have names and are so sweet: Bacon, Tula pig, Zsa zsa,buttercup,Carmella and pork chop. 😂 that’s me in one crazy nut shell. I will love whatever you decide to make or share 🥰
Last edited by billizzy on Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
🐐izzy

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”