Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

August lotto - Winners Posted!

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
WeSignificant

August lotto - Winners Posted!

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:43 pm

Maryz - 4
Chriss - 4
Valerie- 4
Maryq - 8
KathyR - 8
Lori - 4
Tina - 6
Lyn - 4

Welcome to August Lotto. Since some of us have our Christmas fabrics out, and most are done with July lotto, it seemed only natural to get a Christmas Lotto going too. That way, we don’t have to get them out again. Found this block on the internet. Do not know the name and I don’t have instructions except for the ones I made up. Another forum member was kind enough to sketch it out for me. It will finish at 10.5 so 11.0 inches unfinished. Measure but do not square them up.

For 1 block you will need:

WOW for background

Eight 2 inch squares
Two 2 x 6.5 inch rectangle
One 2 x 8 inch rectangle
One 2 x 9.5 inch rectangle

Christmas Prints (small amount of solids okay if Xmas colors)

Four 3.5 x 2.0 inch rectangles
One 2 x 6.5 inch rectangle
One 2 x 8 inch rectangle
One 2 x 9.5 inch rectangle
One 2 x 11 inch rectangle

Following the drawing assemble the block, make your flying geese units first. I used the no waste traditional method but you can use whatever method you want. Just remember to adjust your fabric requirements accordingly. Then sew your two 2 x 6.5 inch white rectangle to each side of your flying geese. This unit should measure 6.5 inch square. The rest goes together like a half a log cabin. Please note, the first print (2 x 6.5 inch piece) is sewn to the left hand side of the flying geese unit (looking down at it) Then start your tops and sides from there. I have had this tested and am told it is doable. I have 3 done, see below to demonstrate how you can use different fabrics. Make all your flying geese the same if you choose or mix them up. Same as the log cabin pieces. Please keep it scrappy. Another good block to use up those Christmas scraps we are all left with. Blocks can be turned however you want when assembling the quilt. Shoulder is done sewing today so will make and post last one tomorrow.

Last edited by WeSignificant on Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Marilynsgrammy

Re: August lotto

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:51 pm

Can't wait to get started. I've read the directions and will pull out those Christmas fabrics.
Exodus 33:14

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:39 pm

Those look interesting. I'll try a few.
Lori 8-)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Thank you both! Just breathe, they are much easier than I thought.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:13 pm

I think I’d like to give a few a try! I love a challenge!

Mary z

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:03 pm

Those are gorgeous Valerie! I'm going to try 🤞
And I have my Christmas fabrics out 🥰🎄
Tina

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:57 pm

WOW!!!!! I have n no clue of I will have time to do these before we leave on the 31st. Need to work on my Christmas blocks first.

A GREAT CHOICE!!!!!!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:46 am

I copied the directions with pictures and emailed them to myself LOL that way I could print them. I don't have a program to be able to copy to so I figured this out. If anyone would like an email of the directions with pics forwarded to help them I'd be more that happy to send it.
Tina

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:01 am

Welcome aboard Tina, Teresa, Mary. These really do go pretty quick. First one about 1 1/2 hrs including cutting. A bit quicker after I figured it out.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:15 am

Tina, I did the exact same thing. I often email myself stuff so I can print it.

I made one and found that if I square up and iron after each round it comes out exactly as it is supposed to. I also moved my needle over a couple of clicks so I have a smidgen less than a 1/4 inch seam. Valerie is right, it will go easily after you do one and have it figured out.
Exodus 33:14

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”