Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

2021 Secret Santa HINTS

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
maryq

2021 Secret Santa HINTS

Post by maryq » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:04 am

Ok girls... As promised
Here's My Hints so you get the idea

Name: Mary

My favorite colors are: Navy, Teal, Though I love RED too
Around my house you will see: Navy, Grey, Teal

You'll never see: Avocado Green or Orange

One Project In Mind I have is: A Fat Cat Pattern of Hawaiian shirts and shorts (applique)
I'd only need pieces about 8 x 8 " So scraps could work. No need to go BUY if you have some in your stash!

I need the pattern for it yes_______ no_____X____
It's in these colors:_Bright floral Prints, red, yellows, greens

I'd need a fair amount of Heat and Bond

I could use this ruler/template:___not needed__________________

(To give your Santa another option)
Ok, I have a little Christmas Tree that I put up every year with just "quilty" ornaments. So another ornament for my tree would be fun. I have a LOT of table toppers and place mats for Christmas, but nothing for other Holidays of the year---Spring or Summer.

Other Misc info: Please write a little paragraph about your plans for the next year as far as what you would like to accomplish. (I'll have to come back to this.... mostly I have UFO's!)

We've done this swap for a few years now, so I think you all can get the idea of what I'm looking for. If you were to sit on Santa's Lap... what would you ask him to bring you. BUT I would love for you to all remember, as I'm sure you do... that this season of Christmas is about love and sharing and giving with full hearts. I don't decorate my house with Santa... and Santa only came when the kids were here (though this year might be different) I prefer to remember the reason for the Season. Years ago I had a figurine that was the Christ Child in the Manger with Santa bowed down to him. And I'm sure you agree that Christmas has become quite "commercialized" but this is our chance to get back to what is important.... the love we share.

Again... If you have any questions... please let me know!

Marilynsgrammy

Re: 2021 Secret Santa HINTS

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:18 pm

Name: Chriss

My favorite colors are:
Red, Green, Orange, Blue, Yellow

Around my house you will see: Yellow, Green, Red, and wood tones

One Project I have In mind is (actually 3 projects) : a charm scrap quilt or a jelly roll quilt and my ongoing hexi quilt. All scrappy

I need the pattern for it No

It's in these colors: scrappy light, medium and dark, printed or tone on tone or solid. Even novelty fabrics work. Nothing has to match. I'm not a fan of fairy frost or glitter fabric

I'd need a fair amount of scraps to make 5 inch charms, 2 1/2 inch charms ( for Hexi's) and/or 2 1/2 inch strips any length, preferably from your scrap bin. Variety is what I am wishing for. I love scraps

I could use scraps so I can cut them to size

(To give your Santa another option) I would like to try a stain glass type quilt. Bright colored fabric framed in black. I don't have a pattern but it wouldn't be hard to make a 9 or so inch block and frame each color in it in black sashing so it looks like a stained glass window. I could use solid black fabric if you have extra, the sashing will be cut in one inch strips. Maybe something like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/764513334/ ... 2d65d2381e or this https://kimberlysfabrics.com/products/i ... riant=2762

I would love if my Santa didn't have to spend any money and was able to shop from the Santa stash, or find free patterns on the internet.

Other Misc info: My goals for 2022. I am recently retired. I have lots of plans but no idea of what they ALL are. I'm volunteering with HICAP, they help explain Medicare to seniors, I'm still learning so that I can be a HICAP counselor. I'm also watching the adorable boys next door ages 5 and 7. I get them to and from school each day. I am finishing up my class on the history of the old testament through adult education and am going to take the history of the new testament when I am done with the old testament. And of course there is quilting, I have lots of ufo's, fabric and patterns to make a zillion more quilts, I just need to get on it.
Exodus 33:14

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:08 pm

updated: Wednesday, Sept 29

Main idea: spend less - share your stash and recycle like old magazine, etc. Regifting is good, too.

Hi, My Name is: Velda (QuiltGram8)

Favorite Colors: I like Yellow, Teal, Browns, Greys, and Blues, yes I guess I like most colors actually if they are bright and cheery. They can be pastel or bright. I am easy to please.

Around My House: Walls are Grey. Black appliances, black and brown in furniture. White kitchen cabinets. Tan flooring, Multi tweed colored carpet in bedrooms. I add color with accents.
I love lots of colors for accents. Cheery Happy Colors.

One PIM (Project in Mind) is: I want to make a new set of Placemats for my new home.
I have a very small dinette with only 4 chairs. Only my husband and I, so two placemats is what I plan to make.
Please don't feel like you have to sew these. If you have fabrics in stash, make up a little kit.

Pattern for this project? Any free patterns you might find online would be great. Send me a link, I can print them out. So.... No, I don’t have one in mind yet. I would like any seasonal theme, or just any cute pattern with a kitchen theme. I can make it into any season by changing color theme. I agree with the others with hoping my Secret Santa can find free or used pattern and raid her stash. 😉

To give my Santa another option:
Don't need ornaments. I love them, but my tree is too small. Also, no other places to hang them and enjoy them..... But, I could use a couple of new pot holders. Any cute free patterns for a project like this would be great.
I have a great set of Trivets or Mats for Hot dishes from my Secret Santa from prior years. Those were a fun and great project that I appreciated so much. In fact I have a UFO to make the table topper that will match those trivets. It is a full kit with fabric and all. I just need to get to it and work on it in the New Year.
I love changing my table toppers with each season. I have Valentines, 4th of July, Fall Season, and Christmas. So any other pattern for other seasons would be welcome.
Main theme is spend less... We all enjoy more!!

For my plans for the next year, I am not exactly sure.
I have been asked to make a quilt for a SIL from some of her dresses she saved. I just got word that my son received the bag of old dresses so, soon I can wash these and get fabric laid out. I plan to make the Dresden Plate pattern. Many of my SIL dresses were sewn for her by my mother. Mother was also a quilter and the Dresden Plate was one of her favorite quilt patterns. It is a good pattern for using little bits and pieces of left over fabric or in this case to showcase these dresses and my SIL’s memories of my mother sewing these dresses for her. Wish me luck!!
Also, I am already looking for some neat ideas for another graduation quilt for a granddaughter who will be a graduate in spring of 2024. Don't have a color idea yet I have plenty of time to plan that one.
My spare bedroom in my new home will be where my sewing machine will nest herself and be a permanent all set up for sewing at a moment’s notice. l I am trying to make this room a quest room as well and a place for all my “quilty” things. I will be shopping at Thrift Stores and Second-hand Stores for pieces of furniture or storage units like bookshelves, or cabinets, etc. It will be a work-in-progress.
2022 will be a fun year for me, I hope.
Merry Christmas to Everyone!
Last edited by QuiltGram8 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:48 am

Name: Tina

My favorite colors are: purples, greens, pinks, turquoise....I really love pretty much all colors.

Around my house you will see: my walls and floors are wood so everything I put out has all kinds of colors.

You'll never see: drab colors or geometric modern crazy.

One Project In Mind I have is: 4 placemat set for spring or summer, fall or winter. I have Christmas ones but I'm not saying no to anything Christmas! 😂🤣...I just don't seem to have the time to get any made 🤷‍♀️

I need the pattern for it ...... no, I have bunches and really don't have any in mind.

It's in these colors: bright fun colors, I love 30's, civil war repro, fall...... surprise me ❤

I could use: .......fusible, rick rack, needles, rotary blades anything like that.

(To give your Santa other options to choose from)
Hmmmmmm let me see 🤔🤔🤔 here's a list of things you can choose from:......maybe pot holders? Hot pads? Christmas Stocking?(I've never had one made for me), mug rug? Sewing machine cover? I'm pretty simple, I love all kinds of little things ❤❤ please don't go out and buy anything, use your stash, I'm sure you're like me and have all kinds of choices 😉

Other Misc info: Please write a little paragraph about your plans for the next year as far as what you would like to accomplish:
Well next year will be just working from my UFO's because I have enough to get me through years and years of sewing and working through some of my stash and patterns I've been hoarding 🤣😂🤣😂

Just to enjoy sewing and making things for others and maybe even me ❤❤
Last edited by gershwin64 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:26 am

Let’s see if I got this 🤪

Izzy the goat lady 😂

Favorite colors:
Civil war
Batiks: earth tones nothing bright
Wools

Around my house you will find:
Kitchen/dining is all farm theme in barn red, crimson and gold. Goats cows chickens

Living room: kokopali southwest teal red tan chocolate brown main color

Bedroom: earth tones gold brown green with touch purple

You will NEVER see
Modern bold prints like Tula or Kaffee

Project in mind:
Jingle Jangle by Jodi Barrows (jacob ladder)
Cleopatras fan;
Clam shell in purples
scrappy multi block using all my accuquilt dies
Wool appliqué blocks

I don’t need patterns and plan is to to all these scrappy.

I would like my SS to not spend money but to send me scrap bundles so my scrappy quilts have lots of different fabrics. I love florals too and those do nicely as well. Just please no bold colors all earthy or neutrals. I don’t use stripes but love checks.

I need also thread neutral color is great. Or if got some you don’t use send it 🙂 I long arm using pantograph so if you have one you want to share that’s a bonus 🥰 I also hand quilt so any stencils marking pencils you want to clear out also would be special.

Other options:
If you would like to make me something I would love table runner for dining table it is 7ft long. Or small wall hanging for over table 30 inches wide max can do holiday theme. I have 4th July thanksgiving Christmas and fall 🙂

My 2022 plans
Finish UFOs and downsize my scraps so I plan to do patterns that will be scrappy

Be frugal search your stash. Postage is high enough 🥰
Last edited by billizzy on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
🐐izzy

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 am

It's Grammiequilts here.....

My favorite colors are......all of them

Fabrics I like this year are.....Florals, Checks, Plaids, 30's, and dots.
Fabrics I dont like....Batiks, Metalics, glitters or frosts.

Around my house...I live in a 100 year old craftsman style house decorated in farmhouse ecclectic. I love the farmhouse look. its getting new paint through out this year and some new furniture too...a neutral pallet. Kitchen is red,,,Ken built all the cabinets and stained them red...so my kitchen walls will be painted cream this year,

Projects I have in mind....I'd like to make table runners for each season or even each month, I just found a book with all the patterns I need. but more ideas are always welcome.
Things I need, I DON'T After sewing and quilting for 50 years I have every ruler and gadget immaginabe. I also collect thread and have hundreds of spools. I think I f I had a need it would be charm squares,,,I use them a lot...perhaps you bought some and decided you dont like them I would rehome them for you.

THings I would like.....5inch scraps from your stash for making my on going yoyo coverlet,,,I only need 500 more,,,LOL 4 inch squares for my on going Reverse cathederal windows quilt...I have made 144 blocks so far and no duplicate fabric..I like to keep this up. if you feel up to cutting me these scraps that would be awesome...I also would like any old quilting magazine you are done with...I dont currently subscribe to any so all would be welcome and you can send them media mail which is considerably less expensive.

Lastly I would like to hear about you...who are you and what do you do....if you can a photo of you in your sewing room would be so cool too. It would be nice to SEE you. This is so much fun but I want mine to be less about spending and more about enjoying,,,,,..xxxxxxxxoooooooo
Last edited by grammiequilts on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:06 am

Last update: Sept 18

Name: Mary

My favorite colors are: Greens, blues, turquoise (think peacock colors). Purples are in there, too! Though I do like reds, yellows, and really, most every color. Fabrics I love are plaids, batiks, fairy frost, 30's, stripes, polka dots, grunge, fall leaves, Irish-themed greens, landscape fabrics.

Around my house you will see: all kinds of cats. My cousin brought her young DGD to visit once and kept her busy by having her count all the cats she found. :lol: My colors vary - living room is beige carpet, sage walls, spring flowers. Kitchen is wood floor, oak cabinets, black appliances, brick-red walls, wine-themed. Family room is pine cones, plaids, moose, bears, etc. Bathroom is newly renovated with wood floor, pine cabinets, pale green walls, outhouse theme.

You'll never see: probably Oranges. Or geometric or modern anything

One Project In Mind (or PIM) I have is: I would like to make Christmas placemats in red, green, and white. My Christmas dishes are cream ironstone with green at edges and log cabin in the snow in center.

Another PIM I've had percolating in my brain for a few years is a green and white Irish Chain.

A third PIM that I've come up with just recently is a quilt for my truck driving Alaskan brother to have in the RV he keeps at his turn-around point in Yukon where he overnights. Looking for bits of fabric in wild animals (moose, bears, beaver, ptarmigan, wolf, etc), mountain scenery, snow, or Alaskan flowers (pink fireweed, blue forgetmenots), berries, etc. Any little leftover scrap helps.

I need the pattern for it yes_______ no_____X___

Handmade Christmas ornament! And I go through seam rippers. These little babies get dull if you use them a lot. Mine are always dull! I wouldn't mind a package of white rick-rack, any size, to have in my notions box. I never have it when I need it and it's a long drive for just rick-rack. Or tiny black buttons out of your own button collection (for eyes, etc. on applique pieces). And I'm getting low on straight pins. Or a glue stick. Or a surprise pattern! Or fabric of fall leaves. I have no fall fabrics in my stash. Or scraps of all kinds, but especially of green Irish-themed fabrics. Really, I use lots of scraps in many projects. I like regular piecing, foundation paper piecing, applique, cross-stitch, hand embroidery, yo-yo's, hexies, and I want to learn hand cathedral windows. And who doesn't love a bit of dark chocolate stashed in their sewing room!?

Other Misc info: Please write a little paragraph about your plans for the next year as far as what you would like to accomplish. I have 3 swaps and 1 lotto to put together. And I hope to finally get to my Irish chain, a tribute to my Irish mom, as well as my brother's quilt and more progress on the crazy quilt I've been working on for a year and making from my small scraps. I use scraps of all colors, prints, sizes down to 1-1/2". Other than that, I tend to make my projects as they come up.

I think we all agree postage and fabric are expensive enough. Please hunt through your own sewing room for previously loved items. I always think gently enjoyed things come with a good and positive energy. And I will take that any day over brand new stuff!

I will think about this some more and amend it as ideas come to me.

javin22

Post by javin22 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 pm

Name: Vinae

My favorite colors are: Forest Greens, Reds, Browns,Tans, Blacks, and fall colors
Around my house you will see: Forest Greens, Reds, Browns, Tans, Blacks, fall colors and blues. Everything is lodge/cabin look at my house. I have little cabins, deer, pine cones, bears, snow shoes, etc, all throughout my home. My walls are light tan (about the color of chocolate milkshake) the carpet is light brown, wood floors.

You'll never see: Purple, Pink, white, or any pastels.

One Project In Mind I have is: Cabins at the Lake. here is a link: https://benartex.com/fabric-gallery/?se ... t+the+lake
Anything that you have in your stash that would look good in that, is great! I like scrappy and the cabins and trees can be all different fabrics.

It's in these colors: browns, greens, blue, tan.

I could use scraps in my favorite colors. I do lots of applique and even small scraps work great!

If you would rather make something, I would love a table runner, or topper, or place mats, or wall hanging or napkins. Or I would love a cute apron with a deer, moose, bear, or something like that on it. Or if you wanted to just make a kit from your stash with the things to make any of those, that would be great too.

Other Misc info: I plan to finish more of our swap quilts that we have done in the past. I would like to get those finished so we can use them. I have also been going room to room and minimizing my stuff. We have adopted a more minimal lifestyle and are getting rid of things we don't use and don't enjoy anymore. Even in my sewing room! I have lots of fabrics that I used to like 20 years ago or more, and don't like them now, so I am going to be selling a bunch of it or donating it. I also plan on making more lodge quilts that I have patterns for. I will also be making quilts for a charity called the Festival of Trees which is an auction and it benefits the children's hospital.

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:41 am

Just a little note...

THANK YOU for posting your hints! You all are doing a great job and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I see the spirit of USE---RE-USE---RECYCLE. I was trying to figure out how to make that the theme. I know I have so many pieces of fabric I'll never use... and what the heck... some body out there might just LOVE what I have and it would be a perfect piece for a Project-In-Mind!

So keep it up girls... and if you think of something else... feel free to edit you hints and add any other information.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:46 am

Name: Valerie

My favorite colors are: Earth tones, Civil War, Batiks,
Around my house you will see: dark blue carpet, reddish brown leather furniture, blue and yellow quilt for my bed (this will be changing soon though) just a mish mash of stuff. No themes

You'll never see: Oranges, reds

One Project In Mind I have is: None right at the moment, everything on my bucket list I already have pattern and fabric. I prefer traditional piecing.

It's in these colors: Fall, Earth tones,

I'd need a fair amount of time! Actually I don't have a lot of background fabrics.

I could use this ruler/template: I have a lot of these so really don't need any.

To give your Santa another option:
I am pretty easy to please. Please please do not spend $$. I love anything from your stash! (well unless it's red or orange, I only buy these if needed for something in particular) I don't have the sewing time I would like but do enjoy reading patterns, making plans that will likely never happen! Wish I could sew as fast as I think!

Other Misc info: I have enough UFO's for all of us and then some. I really want to start with my pile in the living room and work through them one by one. But first I want to get them moved to my make shift for now new sewing room.
Last edited by WeSignificant on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”