Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

JANUARY 2020 - Let the LOTTO BEGIN - Everyone Welcome - ADDED PICTURE

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

JANUARY 2020 - Let the LOTTO BEGIN - Everyone Welcome - ADDED PICTURE

Post by TeresaK » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:16 pm

Thank you EVERYONE for a most excellent January Lotto. A great turnout of 33 sets that make 132 blocks - WOW ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘
After much math multiplying and divided I decided to choose 3 WINNERs that will recieve 11 sets = 44 blocks that will give you approx a 42 x 56โ€ quilt - YEA ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
I sure hope I am right.

The Winners are ... drumroll please - - -
Maryz - Me - Chriss
CONGRATULATIONS ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸคŸ๐ŸŽˆ๐Ÿงต

Hope to see some quilts soon
Now on to sewing with some Flowers ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒบ

WELCOME Pals to the LOTTO BLOCK FUN of 2020!! I hope you are almost ready to Ring in the New Year with Lots of Hopes and Dreams for all the projects you want to start and finish this year. It is my hope that these Plans include JOINING me this year for lots of fun, finding a New Block you really like and possibly WINNING ENOUGH to MAKE a WHOLE QUILT plus getting to know more about your Pals.

SEW - IT IS TIME to get started on this Year's FIRST Lotto Block! WOOHOO!!!! I predict it will be another GREAT Year and I am looking forward to seeing some New Pals join me along with all our Faithful ones.
*** The first block is a variation on an I-SPY Quilt. Very Easy and Fast!Image
ImageAfter "Spying" hard at the picture I believe this is the layout.
* Follow the layout if you want your pictures to go a certain way.
* If you don't care how they will lay, then make #1 - 3 times. LONG/TOP, SHORT/RIGHT because they will be turned as you can see in block 2 and 3.
* The Oddball of the Pattern is block #4. Your layout will ALWAYS be LONG/TOP, SHORT/LEFT.

***** BECAUSE of this oddball block - I will ask you to pin or sew name tag to the upper corner of "4" blocks put together instead of 2. This way the winners will have the right blocks for their layouts.

MAIN FABRICS: 5" Squares - Cut in Sets of 2's to add the Character of a Matching Game:
Any Season, any pictures like... a snowman, butterfly, sunflowers, Paw prints, dogs, cats, Minnie mouse, flowers, etc ... The list is ENDLESS and Kid Friendly Fun!!

FABRIC BKGRD: If you are cutting yardage cut a 2.5/8" White on White's; simple, understated designs so the I-Spy Squares take center stage. If you are using strips, please measure first and use a scant 1/4".
All of the WINNERS would love to be able to square the blocks to 7"

DIRECTIONS: SEE PICTURE For Placements
* Begin with a 5" I-Spy Square; **Sew a 2.5+" White on White Strip to the LEFT SIDE; MEASURE
* Sew White on White 7+" Strip along the Bottom of your Block. MEASURE - Finished 7" Block!
* Move to the Next 3 blocks FOLLOWING the Pattern above.
******* Pin together if it makes a pair. You will still get 1 ticket per block. Easy and Fast. Makes a FUN Quilt!!!
*** The hint for successful blocks is to Check the Measurements of your Squares and Strips and to Use Scant 1/4" seams. Froggin' (Rip-It is my least major thing to do)

WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED - - -
* Each of the Blocks are = 7"+ unfinished blocks
* See the picture for samples of I-Spy fabrics (Sooooooo Many Choices)
* Please MEASURE to check the block size - BUT DO NOT SQUARE THEM UP
* Attach a name label to the upper FRONT corner of a set of "4" blocks
* Please have them TO ME by the LAST DAY of the month.

WAYS to EARN TICKETS
* 1 ticket = Signups by 7th of JANUARY (showing of interest only)
* 1 ticket = for each block ******* Pin 4 blocks together with your name tag.
* 1 ticket = if your blocks reach me by the 30th
* 2 tickets = if your blocks reach me by the 25th
* 1 ticket = Rob and I are taking a Road Trip this year. Tell me of a place we should definitely check out :)

LET THE NEW YEAR BEGIN!!!!!
FINISHED AND MAILED - - - - - - -
purrfect-lady - Mary ... 5 sets
Marilynsgrammy - Chriss ... 6 sets
WeSignificant - Valerie ... 4 sets
maryq - Mary ... 6 sets
mepeace2 - Katy ... 3 sets
TeresaK - Teresa ... 5 sets
FlorenceM - Flo ... 4 sets
Last edited by TeresaK on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 18 times in total.

mepeace2

Re: JANUARY 2020 - Let the LOTTO BEGIN - Everyone Welcome

Post by mepeace2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:43 am

Visit my house in Illinois Lots of places to see on way and a lot of quilt shops

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:56 am

I'm IN

I have a TON of charm packs and a whole tote box full for 5" squares... and another box over flowing with white 2.5" strips! Am loving this EASY PEASY block!

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:14 am

I am in! You didn't say where you are headed on your road trip but I think the great North East in the fall would be gorgeous!

Just went through my scraps, (well a small portion of them) found enough for 8 so far. Off to find some scraps. I have a jar full in the house too.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:52 am

I have a Question. Is that left side or right side of block you sew the strip on? I understand the bottom. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I might be able to participate. I fly back to my Quilt stash this Saturday. I will see what I have that might work.
Lyn

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:49 am

First lesson! Pay attention! Right sides together!
Trying to bake and sew at the same time, maybe not a good idea!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:25 pm

I think I have fabrics for this! Don't know how many yet. Will do some experimenting tomorrow.

mz

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Teresa, where are you going on your road trip? Will be easier for us to suggest places to visit if we know where you're headed! :D I've heard that the Ford Museum is one of the best museums to visit. There is a quilt museum in Cedarburg, WIsconsin on Struck Lane that is supposed to be awesome. Don't forget the Badlands, Rushmore, and Crazyhorse. Mackinaw Island. Missouri Star Quilt Co. in MO. Niagara Falls. I just saw pictures of Hocking Hills State Park in OH that looks awesome! I put it on our list. Philadelphia has TONS of historical stuff. We stumbled on Ben Franklin's grave there. Lots of National Parks and Monuments. Do either of you have a Golden Geezer pass? (Golden Age, but in our family, it's the Golden Geezer.) You get into all National things for free. We loved exploring Louisiana and Mississippi. OH - and the headwaters of the Mississippi River at Lake Itasca in MN is fun to see. Washington DC. Disneyworld. Everglades. Old mining ruins in Colorado, Denver Museum of Natural History. So much to see and do! It all depends on where you are going and what you like - natural stuff like all the canyons in Utah, museums, factories, cities, mountains, manmade attractions, etc.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:10 pm

I think I might give this one a shot. I have lots of fabric that might work.

Like Lyn, I want to know if the white strip goes on the left or right side of the 5 inch square.

Places to go on a road trip. If you are staying in Cali I suggest the National Parks, I believe there are nine of them. Or, if you are going out of state maybe go to the Smithsonian

Chriss
Psalm 91

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:36 pm

My two cents - Idaho has the Grand Tetons, that lead you into Yellowstone.
Yelliwstine is fabulous with all the diversity that you can see. There's Jackson Hole too. The Snake river running through Idaho Falls, shows how the city got it name. Those falls are really neat. I went to college in Rexburg Idaho, right in the middle of all of this. Beautiful area and great potatoes! LOL!

Return to โ€œSwaps, Round Robins, BOMโ€