Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

OCTOBER Lotto - SCRAPPY Autumn at the Whitehouse - The WINNERs are - - - -

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
maryq

Re: OCTOBER Lotto - SCRAPPY Autumn at the Whitehouse - The WINNERs are - - - -

Post by maryq » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:13 am

Spent a little time in the sewing room yesterday... made a practice block--good thing as it didn't come out so good.

I have discovered though , that it is easier to get points matching if you do the Pin wheel part first.. then add other parts. Doing it in just rows, the pin wheels didn't come together right. So there is a little hint for you. Made a 2nd and it turned out so much better.

I'll post a picture later.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:34 am

We are still camped at the ocean. I had a little time yesterday to cut some fabric. This pattern looks like it would be very easy to come out under size. I will have to watch my quarter-inch seams carefully as I will be sewing on my little travel Janome. I am not sure it’s as accurate as my Bernie at home. Planning to make six blocks

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:13 am

You are sew very right Valerie. A lot of my stash is FALL so now you know what season I like the best :) :)

Mary - I see you found the reasoning behind my encouraging you to make a Test Block. I definitely needed to make one. It is hard knowing if a block is a scant or a full 1/4"

Maryq - You are also right in making the pinwheel first. You can over cut your HST's by an 8th" and then trim before adding the ends. Then you just have the sides to stitch on.

I am learning to walk on my foot again. Still need to use the knee walker as I navigate the crutches/regular walker. Painful but will be worth it to walk with no pain in the future.

HAPPY STITCHING!!!

bampish

Post by bampish » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:36 am

Oh wow. This is pretty. Maybe I can work on this!
Pam

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:14 am

We are home from camping and I finished 6 blocks. I swear (and I did!) that if there was a way to possibly sew something wrong, I did it! I think I did more UN-sewing than sewing! But now I think I have them all done - correctly. Whew! I'll get them in the mail in the next few days.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:19 am

Well I opened the 10" squares I bought, not what i thought so went out to the shed, struggles with a few boxed and found a few pieces of fall. There is some at Walmart but questionable quality. I have very limited options for buying in a store in my area without quite a drive. Still too hot to leave Dad in the car and it's hard for him to walk around that much so stuck with online. I will see what I can get out of what I found.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:24 am

Pam - Hope time will find you in your sewing room to make a couple of fall beauties. Fingers crossed

Valerie - There are 10" packs that I will not buy unless I can thumb through the fabrics. Otherwise it is anyone's guess and they cost to much for me to do that. Happy you found some pieces that will work.

Maryz - Happy you are home from camping and rested. This one looks easy and it is once you find the right 1/4" seam using the thread you have chosen. They are so many different threads to choose from and the heavier the thread you use will mean you have to move your .25" foot to allow for the fibers it uses. I'm sorry you had to unsew so much :(
Happy you were able to find the right combination to make 6 blocks. WOW!!!!! Persistence Paid off!!!

I am working on piecing a Star Wars Baby Quilt Top and then I will get back to mine. Getting a hang of Left foot sewing with the right foot resting on the knee walker. Quite a site. This to will pass :) :)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 am

Did the nine patches with some frustration and my friend Jack R. Moving on and will see how they come out. Hoping to get a few hours this weekend to work on them.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 am

TERESA - did my blocks arrive? My mailing receipt said they should have been there by now. It wasn't the 1/4-inch seams I had trouble with - it was the fact that I kept sewing the parts of this block together incorrectly! lol! And honest, it's not a difficult block - just opportunities to go wrong if you don't pay attention. And I guess I didn't! But you're right - if your seams are even a thread over 1/4", your block will come up undersized. But I did love the block and had a good time despite myself! thanks!
Mary

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:50 am

https://i.postimg.cc/6p4Wn09w/20181013-114802.jpg

Fall or no?

Not sure why picture not there

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”