Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

2017 JANUARY LOTTO - Log Cabin Block - MaryRose first quilt in her New Sewing Solace Room

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

Re: 2017 JANUARY LOTTO - Log Cabin Block - MaryRose first quilt in her New Sewing Solace Room

Post by TeresaK » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:26 pm

BLOCK: LOG CABIN block using 2.25" strips. This will make a 12.75" block.

Tina PM'd me pointing out that these blocks will Square up to 12.25" when they are used.
I hope it is still early to catch.
***** If you haven't cut or made your blocks PLEASE CUT YOUR LAST 2 Light and Dark Strips at 2.5" so winners can equally square the blocks 12.5" when used.
***** if, if you have already made your blocks PLEASE SEND THEM AS IS because they can still be used in a quilt. Thanks!!!

My sincere apologies for the glitch.

purrfect-lady

Re: 2017 JANUARY LOTTO - Log Cabin Block - MaryRose first quilt in her New Sewing Solace Room

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:28 am

DOUBLE RATS!! Now I have another tip to share: read the measurements carefully. I cut all my strips at 2-1/2"! I now have ten 14-1/2" blocks. I think a newbie wouldn't make this mistake, but as an oldie, I tend to skim when I read. I guess I'll make two more this size, put them together, and send them straight to Tina as a finished top. Then, if I have any more red/white blocks in me, I will trim down my strips and start over. Sigh. Sometimes I'm such a doofus!

MEPIECE2

Post by MEPIECE2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 am

I believe your first measurement was correct
7 strips at 2.25 = 15.75 minus 3 inches in seams = 12.75
there are 6 seams at .5 each . I will try to make one today although I have red no red and white.
You end up with a 14.5 inch block with 2.5 inch
Too get the 12.5 block by adding the last larger strips as Teresa suggested.

larynx
Site Admin

Post by larynx » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:26 am

For anyone interested I just got an email from Connecting Threads showing their 52 week free pattern which also shows/features their Scarlet line of fabrics which looks like it would be perfect for using the Red colors in this log cabin block. I have an Amazon gift certificate and am seeing if I can purchase some of this through Amazon...I have noticed Connecting Thread sells some of it's merchandise through Amazon..:)

Sonya.

Welcome, anne2017!..:)

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:27 am

Hi, I have only just ordered some strips, I was able to get plenty reds, but only a choice of 3 'red on whites'...
So, I haven't made my blocks yet...

I will also wash my strips with care when they arrive and will make a note of the new measurements...
Here is what I have coming xxx J xxx

larynx
Site Admin

Post by larynx » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:36 am

Jacquie...Where did you order those from?...They're gorgeous!..I have a special Valentine project I am doing so I need to get some fabrics for it..

Sonya.

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:26 am

GOod morning Pals.
After a good nights sleep I believe I am right :)
Using the 2.25" strips with a sweet 1/4" seam you will end up with a 12.75" block. The winners will then trim off 1/8" to get a 12.50" block. *** to make a test block to check your 1/4" seams. 1/8 of an inchRemember isn't much.

Thanks Tina for Double checking me and then letting me know i was OK. Thank you Katy for reinforcing that I was also OK. It is always good to have other eyes.

I also did a search on amazon.com; Fabric.com and Connecting threads for Red and White fabrics. THere are many pages of wonderful fabrics. All worth taking a look see. I see I am spoiled as I went up to Debbie's and FABulously she had a few I did not have otherwise it would have been a 35 mile trip to Walmart and even farther to JoAnn's.
****** If you do need to go shopping ... February we will be using the color GREEN and Yellow(small/medium prints) and creams.

WOW - 10 blocks half finished. Mary you rock!!! This will make a lovely quilt for Tina's Comfort Quilt Project. Hope you take a picture of your blocks. Will LOVE seeing them :)

Velda - I wonder if you could swap fabric? Trade some of the red and white with some fabric from your stash? It all goes to a get cause and I think you would be able to sleep at night.

Jacquie - wonderful fabrics!!! Glad you had a great time shopping.

Izzy - would love seeing you come join us if time allows for you. I hope you are feeling much better by now.

Valerie - I am sorry to loose you as I know how much you love the Lotto. Let me know if something changes throughout the month. Maybe a
blessing or an opportunity to trade fabrics from/with someone might show up. Remember you can use another color. It does not need to me red.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:56 am

So I have another question:

1. In re-reading your very specific directions it sounds like we are SUPPOSED to use a small print of our dominant color with a light background for the light strips, or are you merely saying we CAN use them. I have no prints like that. My lights are all TOT creams of various shades. If prints on lights are a requirement then I guess I better withdraw my name because I don't have those fabrics.

Now I have two more tips:

I always press each 'log' to the outside of the block before adding the next 'log'. Makes the block lie nice and smooth.

Sometimes it's very easy (for me, anyway!) to get confused as to which log goes on next. It's the side with two seams on it. If you are doing it correctly, the other three sides will show only one seam.

MEPIECE2

Post by MEPIECE2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:45 am

Ok put me in for 2. These may be hand pieced

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:07 am

"Makes the block lie nice and smooth." LOL Mary you really should educate your blocks to not tell stories. Always best to tell the truth! Funny how some things come out when we completely meant something else. That is a very good tip though. I do the same thing and works great!

I read the instructions to be you can use a WOW for the 3rd and 4th addition of the light but the rest need to be white with a print. My lights are all tone on tone also and I can't be buying fabric right now. In fact I think my fabric collecting may be over. No shops close to me anymore so if not in my stash, I guess I don't need it right now.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”