Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

2017 JANUARY LOTTO - Log Cabin Block - MaryRose first quilt in her New Sewing Solace Room

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

2017 JANUARY LOTTO - Log Cabin Block - MaryRose first quilt in her New Sewing Solace Room

Post by TeresaK » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:48 pm

MaryRose stitched together a beautiful quilt using her WINNING blocks from the Quilt in a Day January Lotto this year.
Happy Dance for her because this is the first quilt stitched together in her new Quilting Solace Room and she is keeping this one for herself. Yea!!!

THE TIME IS HERE for the HAND OF THE PICKER to PICK THE WINNERS!!!
We had a FABulous month. You all stitched some BEAUTIFUL blocks that will make delightful quilts or whatever you decide to make with them.
ALL TOTALED was 42 Blocks divided by 4 winners!!!
CONGRATULATIONS go out to ........
Purrfect-Lady - Mary
Rosebud3 - MaryRose
Xochitl - Ysabel
FarmChick - Miriam/Chickie (7 blocks will be mailed to Tina with the blocks designated for the Comfort Quilt Project)

WELCOME PALS to a BRAND NEW YEAR of LOTTO FUN in 2017!! Can you believe it - 2017 - I am just flabergasted at how time flies!!
Here is the TWIST: I know many of you LOVE to help Philanthropic Projects. I am hoping this year the Lotto can help. This is a choice: To make 1-2 extra blocks for the Comfort Quilts Project during these months - January, March, May, July, September, November. Many hands make it easier for others to complete a quilt and I Thank You in advance for all who embrace this project. Remember this is a choice.

5 REASONs TO JOIN?? (1)IT IS FUN!! (2)Never any pressure. The choice is always yours as to how many blocks you have time to make (3)It is a great place to practice and get ready for joining is a Swaps Thread (4)It is FUN TO WIN and/or see a PAL WIN and be able to make a quilt that will be loved and hugged or use in any way you choose and (5)If you make a block to keep you could have a Sampler Quilt at the end of the year :) :)

ARE YOU READY to RING IN THE NEW YEAR??????
* BLOCK: LOG CABIN block
******* There are 2 ways you can make this block. #1 or #2. Either way will work. By making a test block you will know which way will be the best for you.

(1) If you cut all strips at 2.25" and your seam allowances are consistent then your block will be an un-finished 12.75". The winners will then take off 1/8" on all sides to square the blocks to 12.5" unfinished blocks before stitching together.

(2) If you do the above BUT cut your last 4 Outer strips at 2.5" then your block will measure 13 3/8".

* COLORS of TESTED PRE_WASHED FABRICS:
CENTER SQUARE - Rich Yellow TOT
STRIPS - Red (if you have it) or YOUR choice of Color.
Light/Medium - PRINTs and/or TOT's. If you have Red/White or White/Red Prints (or any other color) like in the Sample picture please use them first.
If you do not have the above fabrics then please use a combination of Prints and TOT's in Reds (or any color if you do not have Reds) along with Whites and Light Creams.
You will have a dark side and a light side as in any Log Cabin.

BEFORE MAILING---
* DOUBLE CHECK to make sure your blocks are the correct 12.75" Square
* PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT SQUARE UP YOUR BLOCKs
* Place your Name Tag/Address label in the FRONT UPPER LEFT CORNER
* Place ALL blocks in ONE Plastic Bag
* Send $2-3 to help with shipping blocks to winners. Any money left over from that month always goes in the Kitty Bank to be used for Free Months.
* ALWAYS MAIL with a TRACKING NUMBER

WAYS to RECEIVE your WINNING tickets ...
* 1 ticket = Let me know if interested early and you send blocks
* 1 ticket = for all 12.75" (or) 13 3/8" Blocks
* 1 ticket = if your blocks reach me by the 27th - BUT YOU ALWAYS have until the last day of the month to get them to me.

EXTRA TICKETS
* 1 ticket = a Tip in stitching Log Cabin blocks easier for you
* 2 tickets = make at least 2 blocks for a Comfort Quilt. I will also let Chriss and Tina know to give you a ticket for the Mystery Box

** Any questions please ask :) :)
DELIVER'dd
TeresaK - Teresa ... 3 Lotto; 2 Tina
Purrfect-Lady - Mary ... 3 Lotto; 3 Tina; Tip
Shelly322002 - Jacquie ... 6 Lotto; 2 Tina; Tip
MEPIECE2 - Katy ... 2 blocks
FarmChick - Miriam/Chickie ... 6 blocks
Prairiewillow - Sonya ... 5 Lotto; 2 Tina
Xochitl - Ysabel ... 4 blocks
rosebud3 - MaryRose ... 12 Lotto; 12 mailed to Tina; Tip
JAYKAY - Joyce ... 2 blocks; 12 were mailed to Tina

MAILED ---
grannysparlor - Pat ... 4 (I have not received Pat's blocks or heard from her in the past few days and it is the 31st)

shelly322002

Re: 2017 JANUARY LOTTO - Log Cabin Block - MaryRose first quilt in her New Sewing Solace Room

Post by shelly322002 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:13 pm

I love it!! Alas, all my reds like these have gone into a project 😕It would need to be a different colour scheme for me... I LOVE ❤️ LOVE ❤️ LOVE ❤️ Your block though!!! 👏👏👏👏👏

purrfect-lady

Re: 2017 JANUARY LOTTO - Log Cabin Block - MaryRose first quilt in her New Sewing Solace Room

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 am

You happened to pick the one color scheme that I happen to have plenty of in my trailer! Darn! No fabric shopping needed! lol! I'll try to get some blocks made an in the mail.

One tip I always do is to square up the block with each round of 'logs'. Otherwise I find my block gets wonky by the time it's done.

mary z

anne2017

Post by anne2017 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:33 am

how many blocks are required?

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 am

HUMMM will have to go peek in my stash and see what reds I have. I will be back later to let you know still a few days in dec left so I have time dont I;)

now you did say we could use another color scheme if no red correct??? just double checking--just in case no true red but maybe rose or maroons are available:)

Oh lights dont have to be white on white only do they??? can we use creams???? just checking on that also:)

YOu know me full of questions. I think I should get a ticket for the most questions always asked LOL:)

Izzy
🐐izzy

anne2017

Post by anne2017 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:37 am

Also...I am from Canada. Do I send money in American currency?
Since I am a new quilter, I am not confident that my blocks will be up to standard. If I join, I would send my best work but I am not sure that my best will be good enough.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 am

I love this block. I just can't commit right now. I have promised myself to finish up a stack of comfort blocks to mail to Tina and also I have fabric that I brought along from our church to make quilt tops for our mission project back home.

What a coincidence! The fabric from the church is Red and White. Can't use any of that because it belongs in the mission quilt. But I thought it was interesting that you have chosen the Red and White theme.

Since we can choose another color, I will look around and see what I can come up with, but I will let you know later if I decide to try and make a few blocks.

First things first. I will try.

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:42 am

Teresa......yay.......a new year and a new lotto. Love this block and I do have reds.....
So put me down for this month.

I am determined to get back into sewing on a regular basis.

There has been so much "life" going on, but hoping normal will appear soon.

Joyce

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:47 am

Ok, I've sorted out the 'red' fabric part, but having problems sorting the 'red/white' fabric part... mmm...

I'm sure I'll have fun sorting my problem out ;)
xxx J xxx

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:08 am

I am going to do better this time than I did with December's lotto. Too many "sick days" threw me off of completing my Christmas gifts, so I wasn't able to find lotto time either.

I hope to find some reds in my stash... If not... maybe other colors.

Anne--great to meet you!!! Lotto is for learning, and the log cabin block is almost everyone's first block. We've all been beginners--don't worry!!! Welcome to you!!! There are no number of required blocks. All blocks are welcome--hope you win and have a quilt to piece!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”