Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

MAY Lotto Block - QIAD May Basket and Bows - EVERYONE FABulous Bags by Linda - Oasis!!

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

MAY Lotto Block - QIAD May Basket and Bows - EVERYONE FABulous Bags by Linda - Oasis!!

Post by TeresaK » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:33 pm

THANK YOU ALL for a wonderful MOther's Day Month. So many wonderful stories of your Mom's made my heart warm with joy for you all.
We made a total of 36 blocks - WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONs go to ...
Quiltgram8 - Velda ... 9500 1163 2856 6152 0017 33 *** Rec'd
Oasis - Linda ... 9500 1163 2856 6152 0017 40 *** Rec'd
Purrfect-Lady - Mary ... 9500 1163 2856 6152 0017 19
Toekeyotow - Joan ... 9500 1163 2856 6152 0017 26

With a total of 9 blocks each you can make a lovely Lap quilt. Hope to see pictures of you playing with them. HAPPY MOTHER's DAY!!!!

A slight change: As this is a Learning Thread, a place to learn a new block, practice an old block and enjoy having FUN meeting new pals and get ready for when you wish to enter a Swap, I need to make a change.
On finishing your blocks: I would like you to try to fussy cut a few flowers or leaves, fuse them, and stitch them using a small blanket stitch. You can do this with your machine or by hand.
There are many here to answer any questions you might have. Great place of support and encouragement!!! Sew Please Give it a TRY :) :)

Hello Pals - April showers bring MAY FLOWERS and many memories of Mother's Day!!!! I know you will enjoy this block. THIS is a FREEBIE MONTH to celebrate ALL MOM's!
Everyone is WELCOME. PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS in the VIDEO.
So lets get started!!! Time to go Stash Diving or Shopping and have SOME playing with in your garden of FLOWERS. HAPPY STITCHING!!!
My Block - I will be sending the winner fabric for her to dress it up if she chooses.
Eleanor's Block
BLOCK: QIAD 12.5" Baskets and Bows. Here is the Link to follow the QIAD directions. http://www.quiltinaday.tv/tv/2800Series ... /2806.html
FLOWERS: Flower Fabrics
BASKET FABRICS: Coordinating fabric so your Flowers will POP.
CORNER TRIANGLES: TOT accenting color from your flower fabric.
BACKGROUND: Light shades to compliment your flowers, basket and corner triangles
*** You have a little wiggle room but not much so watch the 1/4" seams allowances. The best purchase I ever made was a roll of 1/4" tape. I have a piece of it in the front of my machine.
BEFORE MAILING---
* DO NOT SQUARE YOUR BLOCKs
* Place a TAG or address label with your name in the FRONT UPPER LEFT CORNER
* Place ALL blocks in ONE Plastic Bag with NO MONEY. YES!!! THIS MONTH IS A FREEBIE to CELEBRATE ALL MOM's!!!
* ALWAYS MAIL with a TRACKING NUMBER

WAYS to RECEIVE your WINNING tickets ...
* 1 ticket = Let me know if you are interested and send blocks
* 1 ticket = for every block
* 1 ticket = send a square of your flower fabric with your block
OPTIONAL:
* 1 ticket = for a "MOM" Memory
* 2 tickets = if you venture to dress up your block

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If anyone knows the answer, please post if I haven't. East Coast is always quicker than me - LOL!!! HAPPY STITCHING!!!
RECEIVED - - -
TeresaK - Teresa ... 4 blocks; MM
Oasis - Linda ... 6 blocks
Purrfect-Lady - Mary ... 6 blocks; MM
Quiltgram8 - Velda ... 6 blocks; MM
Towkeyotow - Joan ... 6 blocks; MM
MEPIECE2 - Katy ... 2 blocks; MM
Maryq - Mary ... 6 blocks; MM

QuiltGram8

Re: MAY Lotto Block - QIAD May Basket and Bows - EVERYONE FABulous Bags by Linda - Oasis!!

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:59 am

Count me in. I love your choice of blocks. This will be soooooo FUN!!

Vel

PS: I decided to start right off with my "memory". I lost my mother years ago. She had Parkinson's with dementia. She kept on with her quilting until finally she just had to go to a nursing home for continued care.

She tried so many times to teach me to hand quilt. I was like a full hand of thumbs and she still had so much patience with me. We would laugh at my clumsiness. It is such a great memory now.
When she passed, her last quilt was unfinished still in the quilt frame at her house. None of my sister's wanted to tackle finishing it. So I took on the challenge. My husband helped to take the frame down, keeping the quilt rolled up on the braces. We put it up again in our living home at home. Day after day, I worked on it and with her special quide from her spirit within me, I actually finished that quilt and happy to say, I finally can say, I finally learned to hand quilt. She was my quide and my teacher all in all.

It is the greatest memory of her and it brings a smile everytime I think on it. Thank you Teresa for picking this block and this theme. I feel it is such an honor to our Mothers whether here with us on earth or still loving us from beyond.

Happy Mother's Day, All of you!
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

maryq

Re: MAY Lotto Block - QIAD May Basket and Bows - EVERYONE FABulous Bags by Linda - Oasis!!

Post by maryq » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:33 am

I'm in!

but will wait til I get home from vacation to start!

I have so many memories of my Mom, I could fill a book....

Here's a little one..

One Saturday I was in my sewing room stitching away on something.. The phone rang and it was Mom... First thing she said was (before even saying hello) "Take that pin out of your mouth" How did she know I was sitting at the sewing machine with a pin in my mouth! It was scary!

On her headstone at Fort Snelling, MN, is engraved "Our strength and our guide" A couple of my nieces and my sister all have a tattoo of that somewhere. I have a special necklace with that on it, that I never take of!

I miss her everyday!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:45 am

I like this block and hope I can make it happen this month! A purrfect choice for May, the Mom Month! Will let you know after I check my stash, check my 'gotta do ASAP' list, and check my calendar.

MEPIECE2

Post by MEPIECE2 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 am

Teresa Count me in but probably only a couple LOl got to get into gardens. I have the book but will go watch video first. Funny thing is I still have some of El's basket weave fabric. LOL Blue green and light tan. HMMMMMMM Wonder which one I will use. This works for me.
Katy

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:42 am

Oh what pretty blocks!!
Alas, I'm unable to rotary cut :( Sob...
I can guide fabric slowly for sewing, but can't hold the ruler flat for guiding the cutter...
I shall watch from the side lines, again... :(

Hugs all, Jacquie xxx

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:00 am

YEA - What a wonderful beginning to the month of May and celebrating Mother's Day!

Velda - What a blessing you had for a Mom. Above and beyond anything else she taught you to not only quilt but to keep the art of handquilting alive in you as you finished the quilt that always brings a smile. A true treasure indeed. Will you post a picture of the quilt she made for you to finish??

Maryq - The wonderful trait of any Mom is they always know what you are doing. Can definitely be scary and makes you question - How did she know or find out? Does she have hidden cameras in your house? It sounds like she knew you very well :) What a heartfelt saying on her headstone. A tribute to her and a necklace to always have her in your heart.

You both brought tears to my eyes reding your stories. Both beautiful memories to cherish and treasure.

Jacquie - I will sorely miss you but I know you need to rest and heal that hand. Maybe Stephen or the girls could help you cut? You would definitely be passing on a part of the quilting journey. If not no worries. You are always in our hearts and prayers

Mary - I have one of those lists on my eraser board hanging in the kitchen. Keeps me on track and not get to overloading myself. Hope you can join us this month. You have one ticket because you let me know you are interested. No pressure at all. Just if time permits.

Katy - Welcome back! Congrat's on winning in April. How wonderful that you have 3 of El's Basket weave fabric!!! My vote would be the blue or the green but I know your instincts will guide you :)

Happy Flower Picking!!!!

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I am throwing my name in. Going to my Sister's for a week (well 9 days this month) and a lot of other commitments but going to try. I have the book so will see what I can do.

Beautiful choice Teresa.

I have so many Mom memories, I will have to think of which one to share.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Wonderful Valerie!!!! Thank you for the block choice. So glad to hear you are going to visit your sister. I know she will be very blessed. Will you be stopping at my house on the way? Doors are always open to you. Let me know so I know whether to mail your April Winning Blocks or wait for you to pick them up :) :) Would love to treat you :) :);

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:25 am

I would have to look for a photo of Mom's final quilt. I know we have a picture of me stitching on it, but the quilt was given to my eldest sister for safe keeping. We all agreed it was only proper for her to have it. I don't remember if I took a picture of the whole quilt finished.

I will look through my photo sticks and see if I can find one to share later in the month.

Hugs
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”