Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

APRIL Lotto Block - QIAD Egg Money Book DRESDAN PLATE - Picture of Lori's Quilt Posted

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

APRIL Lotto Block - QIAD Egg Money Book DRESDAN PLATE - Picture of Lori's Quilt Posted

Post by TeresaK » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:20 pm

What a GREAT MONTH we had THANKS to ALL of YOU!!!! Wonderful blocks, great fabrics and Delightful stories of Springtime.
CONGRATULATIONS to the WINNER'S * * *

MEPIECE2 - Katy; 1st time WINNER!!!! 9500 1148 6998 6121 0172 19; 5/3
WeSignificant - Valerie :)
ME - Teresa :)

These blocks will make some Beautiful and Loveable Quilts. Can't wait to see pictures of possible layouts :) :)

Hello Pals - YES it is APRIL!!! Time for SPRING Colors :) We have never done a Block using 1930 repro's and I know many of you enjoy them. Everyone is WELCOME!!! So time to go Stash Diving or Shopping and have SOME FUN making your FABulous blocks!!! Remember to make 1 block to keep for the "End of the Year" Sampler quilt of yours. Here are my 4 blocks. I still need to add the middle circle and stitch but thought I would show you :)HAPPY STITCHING!!!

BLOCK: QIAD Dresdan Plate Block. Here is the Link to follow the QIAD directions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQrca_T ... Qrca_T2VlA
FABRICS: 1930's Colored Prints. You will need 4 sets of 5 colors. Your center color can be a 6th color. You make the choice on how it looks. You also have the choice of using the same colors and prints OR the same colors and different prints. Symmetry in action!!!
BACKGROUND: 13"sq small print White on White
ALSO NEEDED: 5.5sq" One-sided Fusible Sq for each block as you make.

TIP #1: If you use a Dresdan Ruler you must cut your petals at 4.5". Eleanor's template is underneath it which will show you why. If you do not have the book for the template you can draw a 2 3/8" x 4.25" rectangle (do not go under 4.25"), fold in half by length and measure 1/2" away from center fold, make marks. Draw a line from the marks to the same side corners. This is your template for the plates. For the Center draw a 4.5" diameter circle. Office Depot/Ofice Max has a compass for $1.99 to help with drawing circles. Please do not use a marking tool that will run when quilts are washed.
TIP #2: Stitch the Dresdan Circle to the background Square using a scant .25" Blanket Stitch and a color that will blend as much as possible. No Black Thread Please.
REMEMBER: While we have FUN, we always work on practicing our 1/4" seam allowances. This is important in this block and definitely sewing the petals together making sure you are even at the top edges of your petals.
TIP 3: Take a picture of your petals in a circle BEFORE sewing them. You might see that petals need to be rearranged
BEFORE MAILING---
* Squared your block to 13”
* Place a TAG with your name or an address label in the FRONT UPPER LEFT CORNER
* Place ALL blocks in ONE Plastic Bag with $2 for shipping to help mail blocks to winners
* ALWAYS MAIL with a TRACKING NUMBER

WAYS to RECEIVE your WINNING tickets ...
* 1 ticket = Let me know if you are interested and send blocks
* 1 ticket = for every block that is Squared to 13"
* 1 ticket = for a Springtime Memory: Optional but a great way to get to know you better.
* 1 extra ticket = if your opposite petals have the same color tone but different fabrics.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If anyone knows the answer, please post if I haven't. East Coast is always quicker than me - LOL!!! HAPPY STITCHING!!!

RECIEVED - - -
TeresaK - Teresa ... 4 blocks; SM
Zfatcat - Lori ... 2 blocks
Quiltgram - Velda ... 5 blocks; SM
Maryq - Mary ... 4 blocks
MEPIECE2 - Katy ... 5 blocks; SM
WeSignificant - Valerie ... 4 blocks; SM

zfatcat

Re: APRIL Lotto Block - QIAD Egg Money Book DRESDAN PLATE - Picture of Lori's Quilt Posted

Post by zfatcat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm in. Do you only want 5 fabrics per block? Or can I use all different fabrics? Lori
Lori 8-)

TeresaK

Re: APRIL Lotto Block - QIAD Egg Money Book DRESDAN PLATE - Picture of Lori's Quilt Posted

Post by TeresaK » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:23 pm

Oooooo feel free to use all different ones :) :)

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Okay. I went out and bought 20 1/4 yards of 30's fabric. I didn't have any 30's fabric in my stash. I've never made a Dresden plate quilt. This is going to be fun! Lori
Lori 8-)

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Yet another fun block.

Lori 8-)

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 pm

That is up to you Lori. You can do all different or 5 fabrics. Your decision and I will post that up top :) :)

Your blocks are FABulous!!!! Of course you know this but watch to make sure the placement of you block points are even all the way around the 13" block :) :) :)

WOW You GO Pal!!!! Thrilled you are having SEW MUCH FUN!!!

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:04 am

I am in this one and did get my fabrics together. We went on a FART trip one day with WeeOne after our Ladies Luncheon. Five quilters in one car, off to explore quilt shops. What a fun day. Not knowing exactly how many fabrics you would be choosing, I chose to buy six different ones. Then I found out, that one other fabric that I used for March lotto was also a 1930's fabric, so I really do have 7 to choose from.

Can I do my center circle with the sixth color?

I really like your example block much better than Lori's. No offense, Lori's blocks are beautiful, but I like the symmetrical look and I know that can be accomplished with like colors, but different prints. Anyway, I guess that's why I always have trouble with scrappy quilts, because I am always watching colors that will lay next to one another in a block.

I need to overcome this, I know. But I like it when the yellow is directly across from each other, the same with the blue, pink, green, etc. All these blocks will look pretty together any way you look at it.

I have to wait to start stitching after we get moved back to Illinois. I will keep in touch and watch to see more examples as everyone begins to stitch.

Hugs
Vel

Just me,
HUGS, 💕 Vel

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:34 am

Hi Teresa, I've just been looking at the pretty blocks... aren't they gorgeous!! I wish I could join this month...

I did notice one thing though... I noticed the placement of El's petals... El has her 'point' of the petal on the crease, whereas your block and Lori's crease line has the seam between the petals...
This is just an observation... I suppose we don't have 'quilt police', but it would be good to make sure all the ladies lay their plates out exactly the same...

I will enjoy watching this month, as I adore Dresden plate!! I'm quite put out that I won't be able to join!!

Have fun ladies!!! Huge hugs!! xxx J xxx

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:39 am

Mine aren't sewn down yet. I can do five fabrics if everyone likes that better. It doesn't make any difference to me. I'm going to make a scrappy Dresden with scallop borders for my Mom and Dad. So I can use those blocks in another quilt. Lori.
Lori 8-)

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:59 am

Oh WOW Velda how FUN to go on a FART Trip with 5 ladies - LUCKY YOU!!!
Lori's blocks are beautiful and as she mentioned she is making a quilt for her parents I will meet in the middle and let you do EITHER the same color, same prints OR same color, different prints for the symmetrical look. Thank you for liking my block. I put it on the back of my sofa and it looks better than in the picture where the blue and the yellow are the dominant colors. I think I will leave it alone.
Yes you can use a different color in the middle. This is where you play and use your creativity - YEA!!

Thanks Lori for not being offended. I do really like your blocks so I am hoping you still send these. I would love to win one and use it in a quilt or make it into a Springtime Pillow :)

Jacquie - I would love for you to join but I know you are working jobs and have ALOT of other great joys going on that take alot of time to prepare for. I know when the time allows your sewing machine will be calling you and you can come back and play with us. HUGE HUGE HUGS!!!!

With Jacquie's comment about the placement I did click on the link above and look at it again. El's placement for the ring is the seam is lined up on the folds. The 4 corners of the block have the points of 4 petals in there direction. Thank you for making me do a double check. Your right in making sure everyone's is the same :) :)

Now I am off to stitching mine together :) :) HAPPY STITCHING!!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”