Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

JANUARY 2016 LOTTO Block - Variation of El's HEART Block - THANK YOU again

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

JANUARY 2016 LOTTO Block - Variation of El's HEART Block - THANK YOU again

Post by TeresaK » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:56 am

WELCOME PALS TO The LOTTO BLOCK FUN for 2016!!! I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and are getting ready to Ring in the New Year!!!
I do plan on keeping it monthly for reasons being 1)IT IS FUN!! 2) The choice is yours as to how many blocks you have time to make and you don't have to participate in all of them. It is FUN TO WIN and see a PAL WIN and make a quilt that will be loved, 3)a great place to practice and get ready for Swaps PLUS 4)you could have a Sampler Quilt for you at the end of the year :) :) :)

SEW ... IT IS TIME to BEGIN a NEW YEAR with a VARIATION of Eleanor's "HEART" Block!!! You can find the directions in Eleanor's "Still Stripping after 25 years" and in the "It's Elementary" book for the Top of the Heart.
The variation is to make it a 16-patch center using alternating 2.5" strips or sixteen 2-1/2" squares to make the 16-patch. WATCH your 1/4" seam measurement!! Use your ruler as you finish stitching each row and lock your seams. Don't forget those FAMOUS EL's 4-patches on the back when you iron :) :) This will measure an 8.5" square when it's done. ***YES - here you will measure and square up to make sure you have an 8.5" square and to fix if you do not.
Cut 2 white TOT background rectangles measuring 4.5" by 8.5" and 4.5" by 12.5". To give yourself some breathing room add 1/8".
Cut 2 pieces of Fusible 4.5"x8.5". You do not need the extra 1/8" here. Trace an 8" Circle onto a piece of paper, cut it in half which will give you (2)4"x8" half circle templates to trace on to the smooth side of your fusible. Place the bumpy side of your fusible to the right side of your 4.5"x8.5" fabric and stitch on the half circle line. Do Not stitch on the bottom line but trim to this line. This edge is lined up with the seam edge of the background. Turn right side out and iron with steam to your 4.5"x8.5"s background watching which fabric goes to which background and there placement. See pictures. Button Hole Stitch the circle halves onto the rectangles and then sew the rectangles to your 16" patch.

I have a Janome 6600. I used #38 stitch, settings 2.0 and 2.0 for the small button hole stitching.
I have made it flexible for all by remembering all the colors of the Tiny Candy Hearts we had as a child.
* Any Fabric that you would give to a child or adult. Love or Friendship. (2.5" strip) & One (4.5" x 8.5")
* DARK LIGHTS/LIGHT MEDIUMS with GOOD CONTRASTS - Pinks, Reds, Purples, Oranges, Yellow, Blues, yes even a pretty green? Please Do not go as light as a pastel. Stay to the darker side of the lights and the lighter side of the mediums.
* A Contrasting Fabric. (2.5" strip) & One (4.5" x 8.5")
* Background White TOT (4.5" x 8.5")& One (4.5" x 12.5") - My TOT has tiny images of sewing items (Give yourself 1/8" more for breathing room to make sure they will square to 12.5")
* No Solids please
* Can You Squared it to 12.5” BUT DO NOT Square the block
* Place a TAG with your name in the UPPER LEFT CORNER
* Place ALL blocks in ONE Plastic Bag with $2/3 for shipping
* ALWAYS MAIL with a TRACKING NUMBER
* POST a VALENTINE Memory

WAYS to RECEIVE your WINNING tickets ...
* 1 ticket = Let me know if you are interested by the 10th of January
* 1 ticket = for every block that "CAN BE" Squared to 12.5"
* 1 ticket = for a Memory: Getting to know you better. Optional :)
* 2 extra tickets = if your blocks are different colors.

RECEIVED -
TeresaK - Teresa ... 2 blocks; Memory
Purrfect-Lady - Mary ... 6 blocks; Memory
QuiltGram8 - Velda ... 4 blocks
WeSignificant - Valerie ... 4 blocks
Shelly322002 - Jacquie ... 3 blocks

zfatcat

Re: JANUARY 2016 LOTTO Block - Variation of El's HEART Block - THANK YOU again

Post by zfatcat » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:56 pm

That a really cute block with the 16 patch. I'll have to see if I have any fabric to make this one. Lori
Lori 8-)

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:08 am

Teresa: Can you give us a little more direction? So after we complete the 16 patch, what do we cut for the two corners or top of heart. Do we have to go and purchase the $18.95 Book in order to get the directions? Are you showing us that there is applique on this block in your picture?

I don't see how I can join if we have to purchase a book or a pattern in order to get the directions. Sorry.

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:43 am

I'm still deciding if I'm going to join, though the hearts look LOVE-ly. But I think, for anyone who does not have a pattern it wouldn't be hard at all to make - you can use 2-1/2" alternating strips or sixteen 2-1/2" squares to make the 16-patch (which should measure 8-1/2" square when it's done). Then cut one white background rectangle, 4-1/2" by 8-1/2" and one rectangle 4-1/2" by 12-1/2". Use a small plate, bowl, or protractor for an applique template for the heart arcs. Or perhaps you could simply trace a 4-1/2" circle and cut it in half. TIP: trace it on scrap paper first to test what exact size you need for your own block. Applique the circle halves onto the rectangles, watching your placement, and then sew the rectangles to your 16" patch. Does this make any sense?

AprilShowers

Post by AprilShowers » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:58 am

Hi Teresa,

Love the block, and it is just in time for Valentine's Day!

I have a fabric question though. You said 2 tickets for different colored blocks. Does that mean that they do not have to be red hearts?

Thanks, April

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:25 am

THANK YOU for the questions.
THANK YOU also to Mary to lead you in the right direction until I got back here to edit the top for all to see. HUGELY APPRECIATED!!

Velda - No you do not have to buy the book. I hope the changes help you and everyone.

Lori - Stash diving is SEW MUCH FUN!!! Finding colors you forgot you had :) :)

April - No they don't all have to be red but I would like at least one red one if you can :)

MAKE SURE YOU TEST YOUR FABRICS :) :)

AprilShowers

Post by AprilShowers » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:33 am

I am in! Great way to start the new year!

April

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:32 am

YEA - Great News April :)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Have a busy month coming but will try
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Teresa, I will TRY, I can't promise I'm afraid. I've just recently moved house, and had my machine returned to me after it being away for 2 months :( :( :(
I actually haven't even had time to 'try it out' after it's return home. I'm 'sew' far behind on my 'SS's too, haven't sewn down a single one yet :(

Love the block though!!!
Hugs xxx J xxx

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”