Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

JANUARY 2015 Monthly LOTTO Block - Scrappy Strips - Quilt Picture Posted from Flo!

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

JANUARY 2015 Monthly LOTTO Block - Scrappy Strips - Quilt Picture Posted from Flo!

Post by TeresaK » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank you Lainey!!! Here is the quilt that Flo is making with her Winning Blocks. FABulous!!!

What a FABulous start to the year. Wonderful colors and fabrics you all chose. I can't wait to see the quilts that will be made.

The LUCKY WINNERS ARE >>> Shirley Mae and Flo
CONGRATULATION!!!!!!!

**** 1st PAL TO POST a PICTURE of a Sample BLOCK WINS 5 TICKETS****
If you do not know how to POST then email it to me (highland_tk@hotmail.com)

NOW .... because Jacquie has an 8 hour head start on all of us in the states I will give 5 tickets to the next 2 pals who can post a picture of their SAMPLE BLOCK. Need to be fair to all :) :) :)

WELCOME PALS TO The LOTTO BLOCK FUN for 2015!!! I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and are getting ready to Ring in the New Year!!!. I have lots of hopes and dreams for all the projects I want to start and finish this year. It is my hope that your plans include you joining us for lots of fun and laughter in the Monthly Lotto. Making at least 2 blocks and possibly WINNING ENOUGH to make a QUILT plus getting to know more about your Pals. SEW IT IS TIME to BEGIN a NEW YEAR of LOTTO BLOCKS!!! I'd like to start out easy and I know we all have lots of scraps. For this 12.5" SCRAPPY BLOCK you will need: (See Pictures for clarity)
* Variety of Medium Prints/TOT (Any colors - True Scrappy Fashion) strips 9.5” by 1.5” to 2.5". See Picture
* 3 or 4 Medium Prints/TOT strips 4.5" - 6” wide with varying sizes between 1.5” and 2.5” for the end center strips
* 7.5” White GOOD QUALITY Cotton SOLID square cut in half on diagonal for 2 triangles. WooHoo - Yes Teresa said SOLID - Sure hope this is a good thing for you. Many have asked in the past :)
DIRECTIONS
*******PLEASE Let me know if I need to Re-word a phrase *******
* Sew as many strips together to obtain a 15” long by 9.5” wide section of strips.
****** WATCH OUT FOR THE BANANA SYNDROME: When sewing strips together, remember to sew up one way and then down the next and so on and so forth until you have the 15" length of strips you require.
This will avoid the 'bowing like a banana' you get when sewing strips together from top to bottom every time. THANK YOU JACQUIE!!!
Try to keep the seams straight throughout. Remember this is the place to practice keeping the edges of your fabrics together and work on your straight 1/4" seam.
* After sewing strips together, square to 15" by 9". Do Not undercut
* Fold each triangle to find center and crease
* Fold the Strip Section lengthwise in half to find the center. Now you will add the smaller strips to both ends to reach 18” in length. Trim to 18".
* After you sew them on you will then fold in half to find the 9" middle placement. Crease or Pin on the edges. Open and pin your center mark of the triangle to it. You might want to pin here as you will be sewing on the bias. Re-check your alignment before you sew.
* Sew with a 1/4" seam, fabric edge to edge, watching that you do not stretch the bias edges. Repeat on other side with second triangle. Press seams open with seam allowance toward the white triangles
* Place your 12.5” square-up ruler on top to make sure it CAN BE Sq’d to 12.5” with your diagonal line going from tip to tip of triangles.
* DO NOT Square-up the block but DO Trim the sides carefully equally to keep the pieced unit in the center.

WAYS to RECEIVE your WINNING tickets ...
* 1 ticket = Let me know if you are interested
* 1 ticket = for every block that "CAN BE" Squared to 12.5"
* 1 ticket = You included tiny/small polka dot fabric
* 2 tickets = Your blocks reach me by January 23rd (R2CA Quilt Show)
* 1 ticket = for Poetic bribes :)

RECEIVED -
TeresaK - Teresa ... 2 blocks
zfatcat - Lori ... 4 blocks; 5 x-tra tickets
Honeybrown60 - HoneyB ... 1 block :) 5 x-tra tickets :)
WeSignificant - Valerie ... 2 blocks :)
Shelly322002 - Jacquie ... 4 blocks :) 5 extra tickets
FlorenceM - Flo ... 6 blocks :)
IttybittyGma - Shirley Mae ... 2 blocks :)
Maryq - Mary ... 4 blocks :)

TOTAL BLOCKS - - - 25 blocks / 2 = 12/13 (2 WINNERS)

WeSignificant

Re: JANUARY 2015 Monthly LOTTO Block - Scrappy Strips - Quilt Picture Posted from Flo!

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Sign me up and let me see if I can do this.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

shelly322002

Re: JANUARY 2015 Monthly LOTTO Block - Scrappy Strips - Quilt Picture Posted from Flo!

Post by shelly322002 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:50 am

Count me in, this is lovely!! Xxx

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 am

TERESA, since I have a huge assortment of scraps - 2,500 miles away - I'm not inclined to go buy an assortment of fabrics to turn into scraps. So, I'm probably not taking part this month. Unfortunate, as this block intrigues me. However, just in case things change here, I'm curious - if you mentioned color, I didn't see it. Should all the strips in each block be in the same color family as in your example? (they are all turquoise). Should all the blocks each person makes be from the same color family? Or can the strips be any color we wish in true scrappy fashion?

nur5e

Post by nur5e » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:07 am

pretty! you know scrappy is my favorite kind of quilt! i might try to make a couple after i finish green shamrocks if i can keep the headache at bay...when surgery gets scheduled after the 19th i wont be doing any sewing for a while. marcia

ps. good questions maryz!

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:08 am

Just a thought, does everyone know about the 'Banana syndrome'?
When sewing strips together, remember to sew up the way, when you have sewn down the previous set of strips, and so on and so forth until you have the 15" length of strips you require.
This will avoid the 'bowing like a banana' you get when sewing strips together from top to bottom ever time...

I went to a workshop a few years ago, and you wouldn't believe the amount of ladies that didn't know about this...

xxx Jacquie xxx

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am

Good questions Mary, Shelly - yes I knew about that concept. Guess I will wait for answers on color.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:38 am

Here is my first block...
I have to say, it was a pleasure to make!!!

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:11 am

I'll join. I have lots of scraps. Lori
Lori 8-)

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:36 am

So far I am in.

Flo

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”