Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

May Lotto

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
WeSignificant

May Lotto

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 am

Good morning all and Happy Tuesday. This month we are stepping things up a bit and will be adding a bit of curved sewing into our basket of skills. Curved piecing can add mucho gusto to your quilting. I have found an easy one for us.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43347215157155273/

To print the template go to this pin, click on the 3 little dots to the right of the picture, then click on download the image. Once downloaded you can print it and then make a cardboard template. I used a shoe box but a cereal box works just as well. You can also use template plastic if you prefer. You can then either use your rotary cutter (if you are brave!) being careful that the blade does not jump onto your template. I traced them and then cut them with fabric scissors.

For each set of 4 blocks (will be considered 1 block) you will need 2 of each shape of each fabric. Please see picture below. There are instructions all over the internet on how to sew these. Please feel free to research but some basics are sew with the 1/4 circle on the bottom. Match your centers (I also match at the 1/4 mark). Pin carefully (I use a lot of pins but use what your are comfortable with. (picture also included).

There are many different ways these can be sewn together so I have decided to let the winner chose the final layout. You will send the sets of 4 blocks. Do not square them up. Let's move away from a white background and go with beige's, or similar colors. This is an old Thimbleberries print. Each set of 4 blocks should have the same color (my blue) but another set of blocks can be another color. This will give us a scrappy finished look.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you cannot access the template, let me know and I will email it to you.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

gershwin64

Re: May Lotto

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 am

I've always wanted to try this block! Thanks Valerie for the challenge for me. I converted my download to a PDF so I could print it but not like it downloaded as a pic. Gotta go stash diving now and see what I have 🤩
Tina

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:06 am

VAL - I can't seem to download this pattern. Even my computer guru was unable to get it so if you could e-mail it to me, I'd appreciate it. Also, to be clear in my mind, four 2-piece units are to be considered a block, but we're not supposed to sew the units together, correct? I'm seeing no measurements - maybe because I'm not seeing the pattern. Each unit is 6-1/2" and four put together make a 12-1/2" block? Is that correct? And finally beige backgrounds, not white. TOT? Small print? And the four units are to be same fabrics, but different blocks can be different colors? Sorry to ask so many questions. I guess my brain hasn't fully engaged yet this morning.

thanks!
mary

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:13 am

Correct Maryz. Let me see if I have your email address

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 am

Maryz, I sent you the template 🤞 hoping it sent right. I had to convert mine to a pdf to be able to print it correctly. If Mary gets hers ok I can send to anyone else who needs it.
Tina

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 am

FYI everyone, I had to have Valerie send to me because when I converted it to a pdf it changed the size but for some reason I couldn't print it from the download to get it to print. I'm all printed now thanks to Valerie 🥰 Thanks Valerie, you're awesome!
Tina

keremondini

Post by keremondini » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 am

I got mine to print, let's check the measurements to be sure, the top of e measures 7" and at the bottom it's 6". KathyR

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 am

Kathy, where is the e? I don't have an e. I'm getting a different measurement, actually I've got it printed 2 different ways, one from Valerie and my conversion. The one Valerie sent me measures 5¾" across the outside edges of the one we use the color fabric on and 6 and almost 6/8th on the outside edges of the background fabric one. My conversion one measures 6⅜ on the outside edge of the colored fabric one and 7½ on the outside edge of the background fabric one. Maryq ended up with different measurements than me and you I think.
I guess we better wait for Valerie to get off work and let us know what her template measurements are? Because I'm thinking if our curved seam where the colored and background fabrics are sewn together aren't all the same size/placement then it won't flow right? It really will be drunk LOL
Tina

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 am

I will be working on this, but I am actually working today. I have patience up through about three thirty

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:54 am

Valerie said she'll print and send in the mail

Tina

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”