Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

April Lotto

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
maryq

April Lotto

Post by maryq » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:17 am

Hey Hey Hey

Here it is... April lotto and believe me when I tell you... it's a cute one!
I'm just teasing you all here, Valerie will be posting details with pictures and tutorial.

This month... grab your scrap box.. you'll need it!

And this month again, mail to me

I'm starting this so I can edit my post as blocks arrive. But check with Valerie for all questions.

Keep your eyes open.... Valerie's post to follow!

RECEIVED:
Maryz 4
Velda 3
Chriss 4
Kathy Re 5 (thanks Kathy, I was too lazy to get up and go look :lol: )
Valerie 4
Maryq 4
Last edited by maryq on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

Marilynsgrammy

Re: April Lotto

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:02 am

Yay, I love when I can use my scrap bin. Makes for a very colorful quilt. I love color and I love scraps. win win.
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 am

Welcome to April lotto. We will be doing a block named "Pinwheels and Patches" I saw this and decided it was perfect for lotto. I will attached the website but please DO NOT follow the cutting directions as the block is bigger in their tutorial. I have done the math and made it a 12.5 inch unfinished block. It is quite easy.

The website: https://www.jedicraftgirl.com/2018/04/p ... orial.html.

I am going to type in the instructions and then will go back and add the pictures from my phone so bear with me.

For each block, you will need 12 3.5 inch squares (all scrappy, try to make them all different) plus 2 4 inch WOW and 2 4 inch red. If the red can read solid from a distance that is wonderful. Please only white and red pinwheels, this is what will pull all the blocks together.

Using your white and red squares, make 4 half square triangles (new skill for this month, keep those points!) Square them down to 3. 5 inches.

You can then lay out your block. The goal is to have the 3.5 inch squares all different fabrics. We are asking for "Happy Fabrics" so no dull blacks, browns, greys, etc. If you have a black background with bright florals that is okay. Press your seams in opposite directions so they will nest.

I swirl my seams where the pinwheel comes together in the back. This will help your block lay flatter. Take out the first stitch or 2 of your prior seam and then press in all four directions. Here is a youtube video if you don't know how to do this. It is an Eleanor Burns technique.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... __tn__=-UK

And here is the completed block and then 4 all together. I am thinking to sash these with WOW and a Red border! The block is easy once you get everything cut.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Hope this tutorial helps and makes sense.
Last edited by WeSignificant on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:26 am

I love the pattern you chose!! What a great use of our small pieces. I plan to join you all for April!! Looks like fun!!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:43 am

Thank you Vel, wow you and Chriss are on the ball. Glad to have the company.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:39 pm

One done and 3 cut and ready to sew
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:19 pm

Very nice Chriss

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:57 am

I want to play and I've pulled out scads of my recently trimmed squares, but I have a few other things to get finished first so I'm going to wait and see how everything goes before I sign up.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:58 pm

Question: center pinwheel is red and white. Is that what you want throughout? Any shade of red? So many.... Scarlet, dark maroon, fire engine red, cherry red, etc.
Please quide us where you want this to be.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:19 am

Vel I was thinking just red. More on the fire engine side. Nothing that you can call another color like maroon.

Okay Mary, hope to see you join. These go quite fast.

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”