Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Home Sweet Home Swap - CLOSED

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
WeSignificant

Re: Home Sweet Home SWAP

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 am

Oh a barn, what a great idea. We lived in a rural area for a bit in Germany and many people have barns. Yes there are many friends in barns.

A castle would be a wonderful place to live but I have no maids to keep it clean.

So I have decided to build bee hives due to the importance of bees. 1 in 4 species are nearing extinction, Plus I love honey. Just a bit of education:

Bees pollinate 1 in 3 bites of food we eat and are essential to the health and prosperity of countless ecosystems.

We have noted a huge drop in the numbers around here and our garden has not done well since. We either have to pollinate ourselves, or rely on plants that don't need pollination.
Last edited by WeSignificant on Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:54 pm

Val- I think beehive is perfect! What a wonderful home for wonderful little critters. Thank you for thinking of such a great idea and for the little lesson in nature

Oh Chriss, you don’t know who you’re talking to when you talk about a little red hen. My favorite story when I was little. Would you believe I actually still have that book in my nightstand at home even as we speak. I made my older brothers and sister read it to me so often that I knew it by heart and if they tried to skip any part of it I knew it and called them on it!! The Little Red Hen. 🤭🐓

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:57 am

Yesterday we stopped at a little LQS called quilt harbor in Aberdeen . They are still using stringent Covid precautions. You had to knock on the door and they would come let you in but only if you were masked. They provided masks. And you were asked not to touch anything in the store, no Fabric, nothing. The owners were a couple in their late 60s and while he was working on Bernina sewing machines, she followed me around and pulled out any bolts I wanted to look at. And chatted up their life history, her brother’s health problems, and more. 😆. It was weird shopping for Fabric, and not fondle it but that was OK. Their house, their rules. I bought four different fabrics, two grass Prints, trees, and sky. Thinking I will use these to make a background for my retro travel trailers block.

Don’t forget - March 28, deadline to sign up, will be coming up soon. I know we still have a few people thinking so if you’re still on the fence you will have to jump off soon. And I hope you land on the side of the party!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:56 am

Valerie, love your bee story. Seems as I drive between the orchards on my way to my dads I end up with lots of bees on my windshield. I wish they would move the hives further off the road.

MZ, I also love the little red hen. glad you found some usable fabric at the masked quilt shop.

I am making no progress at all. But I do have my background fabric. I'm using WOW Sorry for the no frills block but life has gotten in my way.

This is what I am planning to do, It's not sewn down yet and each block will be different fabric.

Exodus 33:14

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:49 am

Chriss that is a wonderful block! Reminds me of the Shire! Sometimes life gives us curve balls, just remember

Philippians 4:6-7
Don't worry about anything, but in all your prayers ask God for what you need, always asking him with a thankful heart. And God's peace, which is far beyond human understanding, will keep your hearts and minds safe in union with Christ Jesus.

Thinking of you both
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:32 pm

Valerie, one of my favorite verses. It’s been popping up a lot lately

MuseAndSew

Post by MuseAndSew » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:15 pm

Beautiful block Chriss. I love your window fabric! Love that there are several houses.

Beautiful verse Valerie! Thanks for sharing!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:10 pm

Chriss, I like your block!

Valerie, Thanks for the verse, I needed that.

I'm having roofing issues, on the block, not the Coach or large buildings in TX or CO. I will try and resolve it in the next couple of days. If it doesn't come together right, I won't join.
Lyn

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:49 am

Chriss, I do love your whimsical block. Love the fabrics you are using.

Val, you're right! I knew Chriss's block looked sort of familiar to me. I reminded me of the shire, as well, but I just couldn't place that memory (if that makes any sense.) :lol:

Lyn, Oh I do hope you get tha roof fixed! I have a paper piecing pattern from my quilt pattern "Heart of Texas". It's actually of a barn, but is similar to a house, is red, white, and blue, and most important of all, has the Texas star. I can share if you like. It's a fairly simple block if you like PP.

Bev, how you doing? Got your ideas coming together yet?

Deadline to join is looming. When y'all know what you plan on doing, let me know. I'm doing a retro travel trailer. If the IRS counts an RV as a home for tax purposes if you stay in it 2 weeks of the year, and we stay in ours an average of 4 months a year, then I guess it can qualify as a home for this swap! :lol:

I hope everyone is having fun with their blocks!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:05 am

Bev, the fabric I used for the windows is a FQ from the dollar and a quarter store. Sometimes they have nice fabric and other times they have thin almost muslin (I hate muslin) fabric. I got lucky, wanted something that looked like curtains.

Lyn, if your roof doesn't get fixed you could have a roof that needs repair. They do leak from time to time. I googled "house doodles" and my block popped up. I also googled color book pages of houses. Hope you either get your roof fixed or put up an under construction sign on your house, you would be missed if you didn't play.

Maryz, if an RV is a house after two weeks and you stay in yours for 4 months do you get extra credit? I want to see your house / barn.

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”