Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Aunt Becky's Finger Protector

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Quiltlearner

Aunt Becky's Finger Protector

Post by Quiltlearner » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:40 pm

I purchased a Aunt Becky's Finger Protector and have watched Jean Brown demonstrate the technique on Quilters TV.com several times and still I can't do it correctly. She uses a recessed thimble that I don't have which could be one reason. Also, I can't tell if she keeps the needle inside the recess or beside the thimble. I would appreciate any comments or help. Thank you, Lee

jameswife2003

Re: Aunt Becky's Finger Protector

Post by jameswife2003 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:18 pm

I don't think I've even heard of this before.

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:22 pm

Nope, I've never heard of it either, but maybe some one who has will be along.

Quiltlearner, I havn't seen you post before. Welcome!

Kittyquilt9292

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:17 am

Hi Quiltlearner, welcome to the greatest bunch of people around! Eventually someone will have heard of this Finger Protector, don't give up. I haven't, so I'm not much help, just wanted to welcome you and certainly invite you to read through former posts and see all the things we do: play, pray, laugh, cry, anwer questions, ask questions, do special projects (see the Projects from the Heart Section) with and for each other. We've adopted the name, El's Angels, so if you see any posts to attention El's Angels, you're one of us now, so take note! We also have a group called ARK-Angels. Look for that project also if you're interested. Participate in any or all of the projects that you want to and can--they're listed in the same section. But don't feel you have to do any of this. Come and join the Fri and Sat night sew-ins if you like. It's open to everyone.
You'll find some shenanigans going on sometimes LOL join in if you want..................carol/kittyquilt

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:01 am

I have one and it is faster and easier than regular hand quilting. I seldom do hand quilting any more though. The show with Jean Brown teaching Shar Jorgenson how to use the Aunt Becky use to be online to see for free years ago at http://www.qheartland.com I bought the recessed thimbles when Georgia Bonesteel said they were the best for hand quilting. They are hard to find. The Aunt Becky brings the fabric to the needle so you need the needle to be secure in the recessed thimble. At least I do.

Quiltlearner

Post by Quiltlearner » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:49 am

I have since purchased the recessed thimble and the proper hoop to use with Aunt Becky. It took me awhile to get used to it and to adjust the fabric tension and the best needle for me but I DID IT. I am very happy with the method and no more sore fingers. Go to Quilters TV and look for hand quilting with Jean Brown.

Lee

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:59 pm

I will have to check this out.

Brenda

kate3

Post by kate3 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 am

I just watched this video on Quilter's TV online, using the Aunt Becky. It's very interesting and hope to get one of these finger things. Ordering is cheaper than hunting it from quilt shop to quilt shop. I'm hoping that I can use my freestanding circular quilting hoop, rather in investing in a lap frame like the one Jean is using on the video. That's $51 plus shipping.......Kathie

minniemouse

Post by minniemouse » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:14 am

I've purchased the Aunt Becky and the raised edge thimble. I think you definitely need the thimble to master the technique. (I tried using my Roxanne thimble and it wouldn't work.) You slide the needle to the edge inside of the recess in the thimble and hold it with your thumb and this gives you very good control of your needle. I called Jean Brown and as I wasn't certain what size thimble I needed she sent me 3 different ones to try. She also included an envelope to mail the ones back that didn't fit. It takes some practice but is a much faster way to hand quilt. I really am getting the hang of it and love it. Not sure what kind of hoop you have Kathie but I would order the AB and thimble and try it to see. Jan in Punxsy

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

I have it and am having a hard time with it also. I don't want to give up. I am using a small floor frame so I don't have to hold it and a rubber thimble which may be my problem. I am trying to follow the instructions it came with and while my stitches are looking better I am not always getting it through all 3 layers UGHHHHH. I do think this would work nicely if I could just get more comfortable with it. Where do we get the recessed thimbles she was talking about????

Brenda

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”