Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite thread?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Hummingbird

Favorite thread?

Post by Hummingbird » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:48 pm

What is your favorite quilting thread? For piecing? For machine quilting? For hand quilting?

Thanks!

Evie

Re: Favorite thread?

Post by Evie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:00 am

Ever since someone on this forum recommended Sulky Invisible Polyester thread for machine quilting, I've been using it and not having any thread breakage problems.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:12 am

For piecing - generally any white, creme or off-white good quality cotton thread.

For machine quilting - well, still trying to figure out what I prefer :-) So far, I'm thinking that my favourites are the Sulky/Gutermann variegated 40 weight cotton threads, and the Sulky/Gutermann 40 and 30 weight rayon embroidery threads. The latter are so nice because they are a bit more shiny than the cotton threads, but on the other hand I'm always partial to cotton full stop. So, will have to do some more machine quilting before I start pick favorites. Would also love to try free hand machine quilting with metallic thread at some point, but haven't yet made a suitable quilt top for that. I have one beautiful gold and one silver thread (the Robinson-Anton brand) just screaming at me to try them out, though... :-)

For hand quiliting - well, I'll tell you in my next life, LOL!

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:25 am

Has anyone tried machine quilting with really heavy thread, such as a 12 weight thread? I'd love to hear if you liked it!

Also, has anyone used the cool Sulky threads that chaneg color when placed in bright lights? It looks like a regular white thread, but if you expose it to light for a few seconds it changes into another color (I've seen it in blue, purple and pink and a few more). Looks like something that would be so fun for quilting a kids quilt...

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:52 am

I prefer Guttermann poly thread.I have always liked good poly thread It sews like a dream, no lint and very reasonable priced.

Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:10 am

Thank you everyone! I'm still learning all this stuff and I value your inputs!

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:32 am

I love Guiterman thread. It's on sale at Joann's for 40% off this week. I went and stocked up on cream, off white and black plus a few earthtones that go well with Thimbleberrie fabrics and Kansas Troubles fabrics. I was so excited to see that it was on sale. I was down to my last spool of white and of cream. I could even SEE the spool through the thread of my cream, that's just how low I was. I bought all they had - 5 spools - of cream. That should keep me set until the next sale.
I also get another 15% off because I am a homeschooler - LOVE to have discounts!!!

Hummingbird50

Post by Hummingbird50 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:08 am

Most of the time I use Guttermann. If hand piecing, I use a neutral gray most of the time. I blends in with most colors pretty well. FOr machine piecing I usually will match threads to whatever I am working on. I do very little machine quilting, mostly handquilting so I decide if I want the thread to blend in or be highlighted.

Joanie

Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:04 pm

Has anybody used the thread from "Connecting Threads"? I just got a catalog from them.

Thanks!

Nancy

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:54 pm

I've gotten thread from them. I got several large spools at a very good price. It's "Essential" 100% egyptian cotten and I've been happy with it, but I'm no expert. Their fabric is ok, not a great selection but the price is right. I like Indigo and it's hard to find so I got their charm squares to see if I liked it. I made a bag with them and it's fine.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”