Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Who wears quilting gloves?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
HomespunMary

Who wears quilting gloves?

Post by HomespunMary » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:50 am

I just tried quilting using a pair of quilting gloves for the first time (Machingers, ordered at the QIAD internet store), and can't decide if I like it better than "bare-handed machine quilting" or not... I've kept taking the gloves on and off repeatedly, to try to feel the difference. Wearing them does indeed give a slightly better "grip" of the quilt, but I also think they take away a bit of the feeling of what's going on with the quilt top. I mean, I think it is harder to feel for instance if the backing is laying perfectly straight, or if the top is being pulled more than necessary. Perhaps it just takes a bit of time to get used to them...?

Would be fun to hear your thoughts on quilting gloves! Do you like them?

Littlebit

Re: Who wears quilting gloves?

Post by Littlebit » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:36 am

I have never tried them, interested in hearing what others have to say about them.

kadie

Post by kadie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:55 am

HomespunMary,

I only hand quilt (I have the calluses to prove it!)so I have no knowledge of the gloves.
How did your weekend go when you gave the sailboat quilt to your friend? I bet they loved it!

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:00 am

kadie, I so admire anyone who hand quilts, you must have the patience of an angel... I get impatient even when quilting on the machine...:-)

The weekend went well - I just posted about it in the Photo section.

stormy

Post by stormy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:25 pm

My hands are so old and dry I need something with a bit of grip. I actually use garden gloves with the bumpies on them. They're easier to get on and off than the 'made for quilting' gloves. Had a pair of quilting gloves and wore out the fingertips in a short period of time.

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:50 pm

Thought about them, but money going for other things. I think I would try an inexpensive pair of garden gloves first, to test. :) S

ipquilter

Post by ipquilter » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:52 pm

I used gloves for the first time a few weeks ago. I bought gardening gloves like stormy. I liked them alot. The price was right!
Sherry

MastiffMomQlt

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:06 pm

I am a machine quilter. I always use Machingers. I LOVE them. I have used them for years.

It may feel odd to wear gloves if you haven't before, but I think that if you give it some time (several hours), you will find it worthwhile. I also feel that gloves can help to relieve stress on your arms, shoulders, neck & back when machine quilting.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:43 pm

Actually, I too first bought a pair of garden gloves, but they had green rubber "dots" on them, and before using them I tried to touch a piece of white fabric with them and the green color quite immediately transfered to the fabric... So, I never tried quilting with them. Those of you who plan to try garden gloves, try to find ones with white dots on them....

After my post yesterday, I used the Machingers for another couple of hours (eventually finishing all the quilting on the baby quilt I'm working on - yippee!) and I must say they grow on you! I liked them more and more... So I think you're right, MastiffMomQlt, it just takes a while to get used to them. Also, I hope you're right about how they may help relieve stress on the shoulders and neck. I only just started to free motion machine quilt, and still keep my shoulders somewhere above ear level - LOL - and that really causes a lot of pain in my neck after a few hours... Am hoping I will get more relaxed with some more practice....

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:49 am

I use the smoother sandpaper. I cut the paper into about 4 inch squares and use one under each hand, rough side down, to move the quilt. It is the best method I've found for me. No slippage at all.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”