Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Who wears quilting gloves?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
MastiffMomQlt

Re: Who wears quilting gloves?

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:35 am

HomespunMary, about the tension in your shoulders & neck..... make sure that you check your posture & BREATH. Get up & stretch your muscles every 45 min that you are sitting at your machine. Put some music on with a good beat & you will find that you will have become a free motion quilting master in no time. Well, about 30 hours of practice will help you to feel proficient also.

When I was learing to free motion, I would cut squares about the size of a fat quarter (backing, batting & top) & would practice. That size was really easy to manipulate & build coordination moving the fabric.

I think the most important thing is that you want to learn. If think you can, you will :)

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:48 pm

I do use the quilting gloves when I quilt on my home machine and I love them it helps me keep the quilt moving. I have never had any problems with lumps or bumps or whatever with the back of the quilt. I watched a simply quilts show where the lady showed us to fluff the quilt frequently when quilting and I think this also helps.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:37 am

Yes, sitting perfectly straight is a must. I learned to sit rim rod straight when I am sitting at the machine, no back, neck or shoulder tension at all. Never lean in with your neck and shoulders or you will hurt later.

SHARONMAMAW

Post by SHARONMAMAW » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:43 am

I LOVE USING MY QUILTING GLOVES. YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THEY FIT GOOD. DDIL USED MINE, BUT THEY WERE TOO BIG FOR HER. LOL

ScrapQuilter

Post by ScrapQuilter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:39 pm

I am really glad someone suggested Machingers to me. I love them. A good fit is essential.

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:13 am

I love quilting with my gloves on. I find I have more control of the fabric and since I have arthritis in my hands it is less of a strain on my joints.

I use a pair of garden gloves and they work just fine. I am not sure what brand they are but they are white stretch fabric with blue rubberized palms and fingers. I bought them at Home Depot a few months ago and I have quilted all colors of fabric including whie fabric and have had no problem with color rubbing off.

naniyosie

Post by naniyosie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:35 am

I can't quilt without them.

rjcravy

Post by rjcravy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:19 pm

They use them a lot on the Fons and Porter Show.

QuiltinKay

Post by QuiltinKay » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:05 am

Have to confess never heard of Machingers until reading this, but have used the good old garden gloves for years. Now I will check the Machingers they may fit the hands better than the ones I'm using. They do make it easier to keep the fabric moving evenly.

towens71

Post by towens71 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:17 am

I used my F&P gloves for the first time this weekend and I wonder why I haven't used them before. Any glove that helps me move the quilt and keep the stress off my wrists, shoulders and neck is alright with me! I also have RA and certainly don't feel the pain this morning. They were about $3.00 @ Hobby Lobby, but Joanns has them too I think.
Great investment!

Traci

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”