Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Will the Flying Geese ruler work for this pattern?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Granma2five

Will the Flying Geese ruler work for this pattern?

Post by Granma2five » Tue May 08, 2007 11:57 am

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a "Double T" 9 patch block for a BOM. The Flying Geese units in this block use 2 different fabrics for the sky part. I have this ruler, and have looked at Eleanor's directions that were included and there isn't any reference to three color F.G. units.

Has anyone ever used this ruler for 3 color units? If this ruler won't work, could someone please direct me to other accurate instructions for this process? I just can't seem to get accurate units by sewing the squares onto the rectangle. Any hints? Thanks so much.

Blessings,

Granma

qltsbme

Re: Will the Flying Geese ruler work for this pattern?

Post by qltsbme » Tue May 08, 2007 1:46 pm

When you are sewing the squares onto your rectangles (and with three colors, El's process will not work) sew just inside the line that you draw from corner to corner on the square (inside = between the center and the outside corner). This gives it a slight bit of fabric for the "corner" when you fold it back. You don't want to be off the line - stitch right next to it.

Hope this helps,
Nancy

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue May 08, 2007 4:21 pm

Do you have Egg Money Quilts? Eleanor explains how to do this on the Peony block.

I just recently made the double "T" block using the rulers. What you do is make two sets. The big goose (smaller square) is the same color for both. After you sew 1/4" from both sides of the drawn line, you cut them on the line, press towards the larger triangle. Then, you swap them around. Then pin the units together, the same way, only now the unit on top will have one color for the larger triangle, and another color on the bottom for the larger triangle. Sounds weird, but it works. I've done this several times. You wind up with enough to do the double "T" block. And half of them will be mirror image of the other have, which is what you need.

I will try to find this in print somewhere and post again.

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue May 08, 2007 4:31 pm

Okay, I've found the instructions with pictures on how to do this:

www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_instructi ... 13,00.html

Click on "Peony Quilt Block Instruction". This is the technique you need for the Double "T" block. Trust me, it works. I'm also doing the first Saturday BOM at the LQS in Batiks.

Her Peony block needs the red and green flying geese units. Some with the red on the right and some with the red on the left. It's pretty nifty. I was amazed the first time I saw her do this.

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Tue May 08, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi Evie,

Wow, you've saved the day! Thanks so much. I printed off the first few pages that illustrate this technique until I can buy this book. Amazingly, it looks like my pattern calls for the same size as Eleanor's. I'm way too tired to try this out tonight, but I'll give it a go tomorrow after errands and report back to you. Thanks again.

Hi Nancy,

Boy, have I found that out the hard way. Trouble is, I forget about it in between the times I do these silly blocks. Since I have the Flying Geese ruler, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow AND remember your tip for future reference. Gee, maybe I should write it down? LOL. Thanks so much.

Blessings to you both and happy quilting,

Granma

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Wed May 09, 2007 4:02 am

Gramma2five
You won't want to do geese any other way. El makes them honk in harmony!!!!

btw - I am a gramma to five. One is still in the oven yet so we won't see her until September.

Nancy

Evie

Post by Evie » Wed May 09, 2007 4:31 pm

I forgot, if you are doing the 12" block, you will need to use the large flying geese ruler, since the geese will need to be 2" X 4".

Holon

Post by Holon » Fri May 11, 2007 4:46 pm

If you have both of her rulers than you can make 4 different sizes!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri May 11, 2007 6:35 pm

Evie knows everything and where to find it. She is amazing!

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”