Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

THREAD

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
QIAD-Linda

Re: THREAD

Post by QIAD-Linda » Sat May 12, 2007 9:06 pm

The only hand sewing I do is my binding. Silamide thread is the best ever! It doesn't tangle and is waxed. Tailors use it and beaders have now discovered it.

Linda

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Sun May 13, 2007 9:19 am

Linda, where can you get Silamide thread?

Quiltaddict1

Post by Quiltaddict1 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:23 am

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Thu May 17, 2007 2:02 pm

I am a machine quilter. Harriet Hargrave says in her book "Heirloom Machine Quilting" that for most machine quilting she uses size 50/3ply. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried the 50/3ply that is sold by Connecting Threads. Their prices are great, but I am a little leary at the quality. The brand name is, "Essential Threads" and I have never heard of it. Does anyone have any knowledge about this thread? Is the price of $1.99 for a 1500 yard spool too good to be true for a quality spool of thread?

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Thu May 17, 2007 5:28 pm

calico, I ordered some of that thread from Connecting Threads when it first came out to use in my longarm. I ended up sending it all back - terrible; I couldn't even baste the batting down on a slow manual stitch - it kept breaking. Never did get to the actual quilting. Don't waste your money or your time unless you plan to use it in the bobbin.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Thu May 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi Quiltcreator,
I will have it on our website soon. I have been using silamide thread to hand sew my binding for years and would not use anything else, I just love it. I will let you know when my order comes in and I post it on our website.

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Fri May 18, 2007 3:15 am

Thanks Quiltcreator for the good info.

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Fri May 18, 2007 5:39 am

calicopuzzle - I guess when you said you are a machine quilter I assumed that you meant longarm? I think the Essentials thread would probably work on a regular sewing machine but it sure didn't work on the Gammill. Some of the threads I've found that work well are Signature, Superior, Permacore, YLI. What have you found that works well?

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Fri May 18, 2007 3:21 pm

I haven't much cared in the past about threads and wasn't aware of all the qualities in various ones on the market. There are so many now that it is mind boggling. This book of Harriet Hargrave pointed out much of the good and bad of various ones...that got me thinking with my quilts in the future that I plan to set aside for grandchildren, I should pay better attention to using a better quality thread. The 50/3ply sounds like it is the best all the way around. She says not to use a 2 ply because it is weak and tends to break too easily. She says stay away from any polyester/cotton because it is too strong and may tear the fabric. I think I will go for the Signature that I can find easily where I live and like you said at least use that in the bobbin...maybe the nylon filament on top for some more elaborate type quilting. The 50/3ply would be good for in the ditch quilting also. I guess I was concerned with quality of the Connecting Threads because it was so cheap. I will stay with a name brand to be safe. YLI and Mettler and Signature, and I think Coats makes an all cotton for machine quilting also. My machine is a home machine with the larger bed. It's a Juki T-98 and I can do a large quilt on it. Thanks again for the advice. This forum is so great to get information on the things we don't know and need a fellow quilter to help us find the answers.

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Fri May 18, 2007 3:45 pm

Calico, I disagree with Harriet Hargrave saying that poly/cotton will tear the fabric. Maybe she is talking about when you piece with it. I always piece with cotton thread, but it's ok to quilt with anything. If you think about it, the stress is on the seams, not the quilting. And the clear thread isn't cotton, in fact some of it is poly. I have quilted with all kinds of thread, even (gasp) Maxilock! I like the A & E Permacore poly wrapped poly. A good basic thread and it doesn't break!

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”