Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Clear thread

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
cindyg

Clear thread

Post by cindyg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:55 pm

When using the clear thread how do you keep it from unravelling. My machine will make a knot by taking a few stitches in the same spot when using regular thread. Do you do the same when using the clear thread? I've never used it before but I want to on my Egg Mondy BOM. Thanks.

Tiggersmom

Re: Clear thread

Post by Tiggersmom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:17 pm

Cindyg you can use the clear .004 the same as regular thread. Make sure you buy a good quality and it is the thinest . . . you don't want to mistake it for fishing line! LOL

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm

Tiggersmom - I ordered my clear thread from QIAD. I have no idea what size it is but I'm assuming it is suitable for doing El's method of applique. Fishing line is hard to knot so that's why I was wondering how to knot the clear thread.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue May 01, 2007 1:41 pm

I keep mine from unraveling by setting it in a babyfood next to the machine, my janome repairman suggested this. I do not use the feature that puts a knot in it. I pull the back to the front and knot it there, or I backstitch it is invisible after all. Be careful when loading your bobbin as it can break a plastic bobbin, best to just wind 1/2 to 3/4 and make sure it doesn't stretch when winding

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Tue May 01, 2007 3:06 pm

I do the opposite of gardenquilter - I pull it to the wrong side and tie a knot. And I always use regular thread in the bobbin. I usually have to loosen the tension on the top when using invisible thread so that the bobbin thread does not show. But the kind of thread you order from QIAD (Sew Art) is the best invisible I have ever used.

Eajosian

Post by Eajosian » Sat May 05, 2007 11:09 am

Speaking of clear thread.I am hand quilting a quilt( jusy outlining the design) ,however I still havn`t figured out how to make a knot???? Anyone have any ideas???

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Sat May 05, 2007 11:39 am

Are you hand quilting with the invisible thread?

Glory

Post by Glory » Mon May 07, 2007 3:27 pm

you have to loosen your top tension by two no. example if you yours is set on 6 move to 4.

glory

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Mon May 07, 2007 5:14 pm

I have bought my invisible thread from QIAD, and I have never had one problem with it. I use the bobin thread for the bobbin. I don't have to change the tension. I do the stipuling and I am happy with it, and also regular sewing. It has never unraveled for me while sewing, or getting ready to sew. Wet the needle, not the thread.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”