Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Babylock Jazz 2

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
FrannSews

Babylock Jazz 2

Post by FrannSews » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Anyone have one?
Hello.
I’m fairly new to quilting and have been using a brother hc1850 which is a small computerized machine that works very well. I bought it to replace an Elna that I inherited which does not work well. It uses discs and spits them out!
Now I want a larger throat space to do more free motion and I think the Jazz 2 is just the thing with 12” throat, LED lighting, knee activated pressure foot lift, etc.

I wonder if it would be better to upgrade to a larger computerized machine or work with the two.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I appreciate any comments to help my consideration on this purchase When they come available again.

Thanks,
Frann

auntjana

Re: Babylock Jazz 2

Post by auntjana » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:04 pm

I have a Pfaff Creative Vision computerized sewing machine. It has a large throat area and lots of bells and whistles. Sometimes when I am doing large complicated embroidery programs I think a second machine would be nice. Then I could sew something else, while one machine is doing the embroidery work. So two machines can be nice. Be prepared for a new learning curve with a computerized machine. I have had three - wore them out and loved all of them. The first one I had was 35 or more years ago. My newest is about 3 years old. Just test out what you want. Sometimes, when the machine goes on sale, a newer version is about to be released, so the older machines can be deeply discounted. I am a Pfaff girl. Love that brand..

Jana

FrannSews

Post by FrannSews » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks Jana,

I really like the engineering of the Pfaff machines, especially the way the fabric feeds through. I need to go to a large quilting store and see what there is on my budget. NJ does not have very many.

Frann

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:37 pm

Yes, sewing machine shops are getting quite scarce! Good Luck!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:17 am

I have the Jazz2. It is a very basic machine but does exactly what I need it to do. I have quilted on it and the throat space is a huge bonus and exactly the reason I bought it.

I have never used the knee lever but have used a walking foot and an embroidery foot and it's great.

I still use my Singer, it is computerized and I love it. And I don't use all of the stitches it offers.

I agree with Jana, it's good to have two machines. and I am happy with my Singer 9920Q and Babylock Jazz2 combo. Let us know what you end up getting.

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

FrannSews

Post by FrannSews » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:08 am

Chriss,

Good to hear from someone who owns a Jazz II.
The Baby-lock Jazz II has been my number one choice because of price, compatibility with my Brother, and throat space. The only bad news is that they have been back ordered everywhere. I think I will continue to wait and while I am waiting head out to Pennsylvania and sit behind a few of the machines. Since quilting stores are so far I think the free motion quilting is my first consideration.

That should help my decision.

Frann

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 am

FMQ and throat size are why I bought my Jazz2. Check the shops between where you are going and home, maybe you will find one? Mine was $700 and I am very pleased. Let us know what you end up with.

FrannSews

Post by FrannSews » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi and thanks for the advice.

I GOT IT! Today, The Jazz 2. 😁
Such a beautiful thing,
a new sewing machine.
A friend on a rainy day,
a fat quarter and I'm on way,
to piecing and quilting,
and free motion drifting. :lol:

It's fast. At $699, a bargain. I'm going to go back to my UFO which I started at the beginning of this journey now that I have all this throat space. I thought, well we have two king size beds, I'll make a king size quilt. Then I backed down to potholders and placemats, graduated to table runners and lately 8 point stars and Y-seams.

Still growing, with a great big new machine.

Franny, all advice is welcomed.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Congrats! You will be enjoying that new machine for a long time!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:13 am

How exciting for you Frann. It's a great purchase. And isn't it a sturdy machine? Be sure and post a picture of the things you make in the picture section of this forum, we love to ooohhh and aaawwww.

Join us in the sew in section, It's really a great group of kind hearted caring quilters, it will do your heart good.

I'm so glad you like that machine. let the fun begin.

Chriss

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”