Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
rosebud3

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Post by rosebud3 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 pm

Have any of you purchased and used the rotary blade sharpener? If you have, does it really work? I have been thinking about purchasing one to help lengthen the life of my blades. It would make a good investment if it really works, but if it doesn't work, I don't want to go to the expense of getting one.

Thank you in advance for any information you may have regarding this tool.

Mary/Rosebud

auntjana

Re: Inquiring minds would like to know...

Post by auntjana » Tue May 26, 2020 5:11 pm

I have one I got during my QIAD teacher training class- it just sits in the bottom drawer of my desk. Used it several times, never did work well at sharpening my blades. Sarah tried it while we were cutting and making masks to lengthen out the cutting edge, nope still didn't work. I just watch and buy blades on sale.

My 2 cents worth, not worth the money.
Jana

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Thank you Jana for your 2 cents. I appreciate your input, and value your opinion.

Mary/Rosebud

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Wed May 27, 2020 7:06 am

I got one and it seems to sharpen but not as long as new blade lasting.
🐐izzy

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 am

MARY, thanks for asking a great question! I, too, have wondered if those blade sharpeners work well enough to be worth the expense. And thanks for the responses from Jana and Izzy! I think I will just do as Jana and keep watching the sales.
mz

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat May 30, 2020 5:51 am

I also had one, it was blue and you spun the blade in it. It was cordless and it was junk. I don't even know what happened to it.

Just like a knife sharpener keeps the knife sharp so long, guess it's the same with a blade sharpener.

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

FrannSews

Post by FrannSews » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:39 am

I inherited one from my older sister. It does nothing for nick's, however, you get a bit of exension on the blade use. I would say it gives you 1/4 of a new blade's life. It needs to be done with a little oil, it's a bit of a messy deal and tricky in the handling so you don't get cut. My final solution was to buy new blades. :D

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”