Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Brand New Quilter-need help selecting tools

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
StageMom60

Brand New Quilter-need help selecting tools

Post by StageMom60 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:03 am

I am brand-spankin’-new to quilting! What are the most important tools to have for a first time quilter?

Quilter7

Re: Brand New Quilter-need help selecting tools

Post by Quilter7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 am

A sewing machine, probably from a local dealer that will give you instructions. Make sure you buy a machine that has a quarter inch foot.

There are classes online you may take, but your sewing machine or fabric store has classes. Find a basic class and the instructor will fill you in on the important tools. Join a local quilt guild because they also have lectures and classes.

At minimum you will need a 6-1/2" wide ruler by at least 12, a rotary cutter and mat.

This is a fun hobby and you will enjoy it.
Carol

Pilot2b

Re: Brand New Quilter-need help selecting tools

Post by Pilot2b » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 am

Little lay her, however, when I sign up for a quilting class, I want a class that the instructor doesn’t have so many students that you have to take a number for you to help you.

I ruined a big star quilt, as instructor told me incorrect way cut and piece parts of star.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”