Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Triangle Square Up Ruler problem

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Katiedp

Triangle Square Up Ruler problem

Post by Katiedp » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:07 am

I'm using the Triangle Square Up Rulers and my HSTs keep turning out slightly small. The difference is 1/16" or less, but it's noticeable. I'm pressing carefully, using a clapper to press the seams extra flat, using 50 wt thread. What might I be doing wrong? Does anyone else have this problem, and a solution? Thanks for any ideas!

auntjana

Re: Triangle Square Up Ruler problem

Post by auntjana » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:43 am

I always set my mark on the ruler just a thread width above the seam line. That gives me a little extra to allow for the seam to be pressed.

That was the way I was taught by El in my QIAD teacher training class.

Jana

Katiedp

Re: Triangle Square Up Ruler problem

Post by Katiedp » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks Jana. It's helpful to know how El instructed you to use the ruler- it makes sense. I did try that, and sometimes it works but sometimes the HST ends up too big. I think it's harder for me to be consistent when the seam isn't exactly on the ruler mark. I'm finding that when I press the folded HSTs thoroughly to set the seams before placing the ruler and trimming, my HSTs turn out more accurately. I was focusing on careful pressing after trimming, but apparently I need more careful pressing before trimming, too. I'll keep working on it- thank you!

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”