Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

My best sewing tip

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
BabaZ

My best sewing tip

Post by BabaZ » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:29 am

I find that using a lint roller (the kind with tape you can peel off) after making each block, gets all the little threads off. Also all the strings and threads off of my cutting mat and ironing board surfaces.

dforseth

Re: My best sewing tip

Post by dforseth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:00 pm

I keep an empty over the counter allergy medicine bottle by the sewing machine. I call it pin and needle heaven, that is where I put bent pins and needles so no one gets hurt with the trash.
Debbie
Debbie Forseth
:D

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:02 am

Tks for the tip.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:04 am

dforseth, that is an excellent idea, and the pill lids have child safety lid I always worry my cat will step on my broken needle and cause havoc.. or myself in slippers.

brovst

Post by brovst » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:06 am

When I want to empty my broken needle container, I take it to the pharmacist and he lets me empty it into his big container so I can keep using my container at home.

By the way, I keep an empty half gallon milk jug under my sink and I cut a slit in the side. Tin can lids get rinsed off and slipped in there. Every once in a while the jug goes in the trash and I feel it's safer for the garbage handlers.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:15 am

I also use a heavy plastic vitamin bottle with a flip-top lid to dispose of my sharps. Then, when I go to the doctor or vet, I empty them into their large container - with their permission.

Another tip - when I have a lot of pieces to keep straight, but not much room to lay them all out, I put them on my large cookie sheets and then I stack the sheets in cross-cross fashion. When I'm using strips, I use either a folding, wooden drying rack or a broom placed across open cabinet doors in my sewing room, depending on how many strips I'm working with.

vabaker

Post by vabaker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 am

How do you dispose of rotary cutter blades and reinsert safely?

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”