Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Scissors with large holes for thumb...

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
virtues

Scissors with large holes for thumb...

Post by virtues » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:40 am

I have RA and I can't find good fabric scissors that my swollen thumbs are comfortable in. The holes for the fingers need to be large and preferably soft or padded. Does anyone know of any like this? Are there other products out there for those of us with arthritis? I also have lymphedema and swell easily when I sit at the sewing machine to quilt. I have been trying to figure out how to sew with my feet elevated. I know it sounds kinda crazy but I don't want to give up my quilting. It's one of the few joys I still have. Besides, I haven't tried all of El's patterns yet! Hahaha

MainelyMe

Re: Scissors with large holes for thumb...

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:44 am

Fiskars make a few different size scissors that would work well for your problem. Amazon sells them as well as some quilt shops. They only have one or sometimes no holes for your fingers to fit into. They are easy to squeeze together to cut with. I love mine.
Also, for sewing with your feet up, how about a sewing machine that has a start/stop button you push with your finger instead of using your foot peddle. I know Janome makes some machines like that. Others may too.
Joan

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Scissors with large holes for thumb...

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:46 am

have you looked at electric scissors? I have never tried them but have seen them advertised.

http://www.joann.com/search?q=electric% ... 20scissors
Psalm 91

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”