Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

thread fraying

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
morgans4

thread fraying

Post by morgans4 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm about ready to scream. I'm trying to do some satin stitching and I don't know HOW many times I have changed the needle, changed the thread, backed the fabric with stabilizer, typing paper, and nothing seems to help.
My thread is rayon and not thick, so one would think that any old needle eye would be big enough, but I changed to an embroidery needle, then to a topstitching needle, then to a metallic needle. I'm just bewildered.
I do have these appliques fused on and some are in place via quilt basting spray. Should I maybe use some kind of conditioner on my thread? Or alcohol swab on my needle? Could it be that it's gumming up the needle?
Please, if someone could help me out here I would be ever in your debt.
Joanne

MainelyMe

Re: thread fraying

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Joanne, I'll tell you what works for me, maybe it will help you too.
I use the size needle that it calls for on the paper on the top of the thread. I use the same thread in my bobbin as on top. If the thread doesn't say what size needle to use I google the brand and usually can find it there.
I also place the thread in a short, wide cup then place the cup on the back of the machine and run the thread up to the first catch and thread as usual.
If the fabric already has fusible on it you may not need the paper on the back, you'll just have to try it. Lastly, don't speed sew, at least at first. Start a bit slowly and see what happens.
Please PM me if you get it going or if you have a question.
Good luck! Joan

kho

Post by kho » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Here is a list of my needle sizes that I keep close to my machine at all times..
Thread is 60 or finer use needle size 70/10
50 fine 80/12
40 medium 90/14
30 and heavier 100/16

Don't know if this will help but it's all I have to suggest.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 am

You might try a polyester thread instead of Rayon.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”