Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPREME SLIDER

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
dtavares

SUPREME SLIDER

Post by dtavares » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm working on my first ever "full FMQ" project & my needle keeps breaking. I have a Janone 6600P. I know I've put the needle in correctly and am thinking the piece is being forced thru rather than "sliding" because of the bulk (pieced top, batting, fleece backing. Quite cumbersome because of the fleece, I guess. Can someone recommend something to me that will make it "slide" thru better? Supreme slider or ??? Thanks! Desperate & frustrated!

fabricgirl

Re: SUPREME SLIDER

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Do you wear anything on your hands I wear a pair of Fons and Porter quilting gloves they help to slide the fabric when I quilt I to have a supreme slider but don't use it all the time maybe it's your thread do you have a book with your machine for trouble shooting maybe you can refer to that.

I also use quilting needles in my machine when I quilt they go through the fabric better.

I Hope this helps Im new to this myself.

Lois

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:43 pm

This may be a silly question, but are you sure your feed dogs are down? They will hold the fabric and your needle will break if they aren't all the way down.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu May 29, 2014 3:27 am

I'm late to the party here, but can you decrease the pressure of your presser foot?

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:37 am

Another outlook, could be needle bent, and hits the metal bobbin underneath.. I have quilted feed dogs down with poly batting, top, and fleece, yes thick slow going, but should work. Mind you I used darning foot, as opposed to walking foot.

Is your walking foot generic could be another reason. Some basic machines sell darn/walk foot, but not suitable for machine. Also had another machine dealer refuse to sell, me a foot for my machine, because too many had returned manufacture defect, and it broke there machine stem..

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:15 am

Oh, yeah. There is a great thing that I bought online that basically is a slippery mat that fits onto your sewing machine and the fabric just glides over it. Unfortunately, I can't find mine to tell you what brand it is. It's not really big, but big enough to fit the throat of your machine and it just sticks to it for some reason. I loved it when I first got it. Before I lost it. lol. It's around here somewhere. My "piling" system was disrupted by my DH and Lord only knows where he put it. AHA. I found where I got it. Daystyledesigns.com

A Supreme Slider is a 100% Teflon sheet designed to make your quilt easier move smoothly while free motion quilting on your home sewing machine.

The white surface of the Supreme Slider is very slick and helps your quilts glide easily over the surface of your sewing machine and table. Pulling and tugging on big quilts can put a lot of strain on your arms and shoulders, which can make free motion quilting a chore rather than a fun hobby.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:50 pm

The Supreme Slider now comes in two sizes. Check it out on this website.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”