Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Making do

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Suzquilts

Making do

Post by Suzquilts » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:05 am

I just reread an old post about using small ponytail "hair doddles" for bobbin holders, and it reminded me of how many items I've repurposed to use in my studio.

I have a wooden trivet I found at the thrift store for about a $1, that when I turned it over, the square holes in the bottom are the perfect size for my embroidery threads to stand up in. I use it to keep the threads in the order I will use them in the designs on my machine. Sure makes it easier to have them in their numbered spot, rather than having them roll around on my table waiting their turn LOL

What have you repurposed to fit what you need?

Susan

WeeOne

Re: Making do

Post by WeeOne » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello Susan, good to see you. I need to read all the threads more, not just Sew In and Chit Chat.

A quilt friend gave me a piece of 1/2" clear hose. Slit it open length wise. Cut it the inside width of bobbins. Works great for the bobbins and if you put bobbins in a holder of some kind, they fit.

When making applique pieces using El's fusible web on back, turn right side out using a drinking straw and bodkin. I have a bigger straw and a regular size straw (thanks Dairy Queen), cut about 3-4" long.

When we meet on Wednesday's at the clubhouse for sewing, I use one of my reusable grocery bags to carry stuff in. I can get my iron, some tools, rulers and fabric in one bag. Have even gotten the small iron board rectangle in it.

Lyn

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:22 am

I use old speaker magnets for magnetic pincushions. I keep them in pretty dishes or glass bowls.

I use a mascara wand to clean lint from my machine. I use antique canning jars for buttons and odd little items, also antique spools of thread.

I have a canning jar to hold small tools and a tool bag from Harbor Freight to hold other tools--scissors, cutters, pens, etc. I use plastic pencil bags to hold patterns and templates together. I also "file" templates and small rulers in them.

My cutting and sewing tables are old library tables. I have my cutting table up on blocks to make it tall enough to be comfortable for me.

Make do or do without!

silly-quiltr

Post by silly-quiltr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:41 pm

When I'm making binding, I use a giant roll of packing tape - peel the tape back a little, tuck the end of the pressed binding under it, then start turning the roll to take up all the pressed binding. Press the next length and turn it onto the roll, until it's all done. The roll then sits on my machine to dispense the binding as I sew it on - just turn it a few times to let a few feet of it loose at a time.

I use silverware sorting trays (the narrow, individual baskets you put in your silverware drawer) to hold strips when making log cabins or pineapple or paper pieced or any quilt requiring strips or small pieces.

Chenille stems are perfect for cleaning inside your machine. Put a drop of oil on it and rub it into the bristles, fold it in half and you can get into the tiniest space.

Poke a hole in the lid of a tall prescription bottle with a hot stencil cutter or soldering iron and you have a great sharps disposal in your drawer or sewing basket.

Keep a lint mitt near your ironing table to keep your cover clean of stray threads and trimmings.

Buy a pair of bent-nose reverse tweezers - they open when you squeeze and close when you take the pressure off. They're really slick when you're threading a serger.

Also for threading a serger, if you have some of those long twisted wire beading needles, try one - depending on your machine, it could be very helpful.

Roll up your free-motion practice pieces into pressing logs - for pressing seams without disturbing adjacent seams, or inside sleeves or pant legs.

Use your free-motion practice sandwiches more than once - when one is filled up with stitching, just baste new muslin on both sides and use it again.

Then use them as firm interfacing for bags or tablet covers. Or cover them with pretty fabric on both sides, quilt, cut and bind them to make trivets or coasters.

AuntieV

Post by AuntieV » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:33 am

I use the trays out of old "train cases" for small notions. The train cases make great storage for larger little used item on the top shelf of the closet and hiding places for small Christmas gifts.Most of mine are from cleaning out my Aunt's house after she passed away but I do watch for them at garage sales or thrift shops. I also use old metal bread boxes for my collected button boxes found along the way. Some of those "button boxes" were re-purposed metal cookie tins. One was square and is now my extra sewing machine needle storage box.

I also have some old sturdy microwave cake mix pans that came with the mix and pan in a box. I keep them stacked on the shelf over the sewing area so I can grab them when needed for projects.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”