Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Automatic tie-off facility at beginning and end of sewing

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
T2illy

Automatic tie-off facility at beginning and end of sewing

Post by T2illy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:29 am

I have difficulty (some times more than others) finishing ends and threading them through into the quilt sandwich. Does anyone have any thoughts on the automatic tie-off facility offered my some machines? I am thinking of changing my machine for one with said facility. Should I?
Tee

morgans4

Re: Automatic tie-off facility at beginning and end of sewing

Post by morgans4 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:44 am

My machine has a locking feature but all it does is stitch 3 or 4 times in the same position. You could do that yourself, then cut the threads off close.

silly-quiltr

Post by silly-quiltr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:46 am

I don't quilt for shows, so if you do, don't use this advice. :)

I bring up the bobbin thread and hold both threads while stitching away for a quarter inch, then back, then into my design. When I get away from the starting point, I snip both threads at the surface.

At the end, I backstitch a quarter inch with very small stitches, then take one or two normal sized stitches, always in the original line of stitching.

Raise the presser foot and pull the work toward you. Pull up on the needle thread at that last normal sized stitch and it will pull up the bobbin thread. Snip that little tiny loop of bobbin thread and needle thread at the same time, right at the surface.

This trims your threads and releases the bobbin thread at the same time, so you can go on to the next section.

No threads to hide or snip when your quilt is finished and the tiny back stitches lock both ends of your quilting.

Some of my quilts have been through the laundry dozens of times and the quilting is still intact. Anything to lessen the tedious parts of the work! :) Hope it'll help you, too!

T2illy

Post by T2illy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:53 pm

Thanks for your ideas. I will give them a try. We have had no internet for a while so sorry to be a bit late acknowledging your comments. Thanks again. Tee

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”