Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What thread types and/or brands do you choose?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
QuiltGram8

What thread types and/or brands do you choose?

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:48 am

I would be interested in your opinions on thread types. Cotton? Poly? etc. Do you have favorite brands?

Do you choose cotton for everything, or do you mix it up?

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

kenderosa

Re: What thread types and/or brands do you choose?

Post by kenderosa » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi Velda, I use 100% cotton, 50 weight for piecing (mainly Aurifil brand) and on my LA I use cotton in the top and polyester in the bobbin. (usually it's King Tut and Sew Fine) I have used Essential thread in the LA with great success as I believe it is thicker than most 50 weight thread. Everyone has different machines and I think that they sometimes have minds of their own when it comes to thread. This works for me. :o)

Sue

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:09 pm

My favorites are Guettermann and the thread from Connecting threads. I use those to do my piecing with. As for quilting, I like King Tut for my LA. When I do machine embroidery, I usually use Sulky. I do have a few Madeira threads to embroider with as well. They all work well for me.

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Glad you asked I to was wondering what was choices:) I was always told by older quilters to use only cotton. So that is my choice. Cheaper threads do leave a lot of lint in machine. I have been using coats and clark until I recently cleaned my machine and saw all the lent left behind in bobbin case. I do like Guttermans as well. I was planning on trying connecting threads thread since others on site have mentioned it.

I will say when I sew my bobbin is always a different color than top it makes it easier for me to see if I have to pull it out:O I usually always put a contrasting thread in bobbin to the fabric.

izzy
🐐izzy

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:03 pm

I use whatever I can find... Star, Superior, Guetterman, Coats, Connecting Threads--these are the brands I usually find. I have a couple of spools of Madiera that I also like. Generally I piece with cotton but I hate all the lint. Sometimes I will use a poly/cotton for piecing. I haven't been anywhere that sold any of the premium brands. Guess I'm not a thread snob.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:18 am

I have been "thread dumb" to put it bluntly. When recently I read that someone used poly on a quilted micro wave bowl that caused a huge problem - over heated and started a fire.

It was suggested to always use cotton. So I started being a label reader and find that most threads available in local stores and shops is poly or cotton/poly.

I went on line to search and it's hard to find a variety package without paying an arm and two legs. I do not need 100 spools of thread. A package of 8 - 10 spools of variety colors would be nice.

Connecting Threads has some choices, but you would have to buy five different sets to get the assortment you might need.

I appreciate the conversation, as we all can learn from each other.

Thanks for your input.

I will be doing more learning and searching. Hopefully more people will jump in and share their knowledge.

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:23 am

I always match my thread to fabric. If I am using cotton fabric then I use cotton thread. If I am sewing a garment of mixed fibers then I use cotton poly blend thread. My usual brand is Metrosene (Mettler), but I will use Coats & Clark too. Just remember thread is linty and to clean your machine bobbin area often.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:47 am

Superior thread is supposed to be the best, but no one in my area carries it. I use Mettler or Gutterman, but also have used Coats & Clark...But stick with 100% cotton for quilting. Also you can use a 40 weight in upper thread but 50 weight in bobbin. The lower the number the thicker the thread.

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Velda I always order from connecting thread I have 2 seprate thread boxes that I keep my different thread in so there is no mix up I seam to use a lot of white thread in which I have to order today It all depends on what you are sewing and using it for.

Lois

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:06 am

Lois:

I bought an assortment of colors of cotton thread. (Mettler) I did just as you mentioned. I put all my cottons in a separate place, so they won't be mixed with my other thread.

That's a great idea.

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”