Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Invisible Thread

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Susie

Invisible Thread

Post by Susie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:29 pm

I have never used any of the invisible thread but I am working on a table runner and just thought how nice it would be to use a thread that isn't seen so much for the quilting part. Is it easy to use? Is there a particular brand you suggest? Do you have to change your tension at all? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Susie

auntjana

Re: Invisible Thread

Post by auntjana » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:26 pm

I would watch the thickness of the thread -the thinner is better. You don't want it like fishing line.

I only use it in the top thread of my machine -regular thread in the bobbin.

Be sure to backstitch as you start and end - it has a tendency to unravel at the ends.

It works great at my regular tensions as well

Good luck!
Jana

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Sulky has a nice invisible thread. Comes in clear and smoke. I have had good results with it...however, I only used it in the top, not the bobbin.

It was easy to use and I don't recall having to mess with the tension, but I guess that could differ with machines.

Suzquilts

Post by Suzquilts » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:40 am

My comments mirror those of these ladies - use in top only, and the Sulky was great in doing a queen size T Shirt quilt.

Good luck!

Susan

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Make sure you only use it on projects that do NOT require ironing after washing. It can melt if it is tooooo hot. I always try a sample before I sew with it.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:23 am

I echo what everyone else has said, but I'd like to add to reduce the tension. I find it varies depending on what you are sewing and how many layers you're stitching through. You have to experiment.

starevan123

Post by starevan123 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:19 pm

do you change the tension on the machine when sewing with metallic thread?

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:55 am

I don't change the tension with metalic thread, but I do place it farther away from my machine in a cup before running it through the sewing machine. Don't forget to used a metalic needle too!
Joan

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”