Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What pattern was the very first quilt you made?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
sewngran

Re: What pattern was the very first quilt you made?

Post by sewngran » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:24 am

Trip Around The World.

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Summer porch was my first quilt.....well, quilt-top, anyway! LOL One of these days I will get it quilted.

Mel

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:25 am

My 1st Wedding Ring quilt, knew nothing of quilting, never finished too hard for my level..

Boy have I learnt since then, attempted Wedding 20yrs later, with scraps love it now, and find it waste some fabrics. But personally nothing like 2.5 inch jelly rolls.

silly-quiltr

Post by silly-quiltr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:41 pm

My first large quilt was Eleanor's Log Cabin, too! :)

Before that, I made some wholecloth baby blankets - I didn't even know to call it free-motion quilting, back then. Then I made some youth quilts for my grandchildren - I didn't learn until afterwards that flannel was tricky and that free-motion quilting high-loft poly batting was tricky. So, being ignorant gave me confidence - I figured that if I could do these hard things, I might be able to finally tackle a "real" quilt.

I bought all the $2/yd blue fabrics I could find and went to work. I cut enough strips for three or four king size quilts, but I didn't know it until I got done with the one.

Good times! :)

Edited to add picture. And because I can't type. :D

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

My first quilt was Underground Railroad. I have it pieced but need to finish it. The first quilt I completed was Moon Over Kentucky for my son who is a Civil War Re-enactor. It was for him to use at his re-enactments.

shirleye

Post by shirleye » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:32 am

Ditto on the log cabin pattern. I'm new to quilting but am hooked! So very pleased with how my quilt turned out. Experience is truly the best teacher!

silly-quiltr

Post by silly-quiltr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:13 am

Holy smokes, quiltmom, a sampler quilt on your first try! That's jumping in feet first - Attagirl!

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:10 am

Trip around the world. In those days, Eleanor was just starting out. We tore the fabric strips and the strings were EVERYWHERE, but it didn't stop me from going on and on. I still rip, sometimes. And she wasn't too much into quilting then, but tying with embroidery floss. We used thick batting so the finished products were really beautiful. I don't know how many baby quilts I made for gifts for people at work. It was just great.

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:26 am

My first real quilt was a "trip around the world" I cut 4" squares using a piece of cardboard and a scissors! Laid out a zillion little squares on my bed until it looked right, then painstakingly pieced all those little squares together. Before I even KNEW about rotary cutters, and about the difference between good quilting fabric and the cheapy stuff!

Here it is--before I had it professionally quilted

[/img]

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:52 am

Double irish chain and I did it all by hand back in 90s:) scissor cut each square by a cardboard templete; hand sewed them together and hand quilted too. Only real mistake was didnt prewash burgundy fabric and now my white squares are pink and so is the muslin backing:)) LOL but it hangs on wall in my sewing room and got years of wear and tear for sure:))

Izzy
🐐izzy

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”