Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is a cheaper alternative to quilter's plastic?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
LynnS

What is a cheaper alternative to quilter's plastic?

Post by LynnS » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:57 am

Hello! I just bought myself a pattern for making a cover for my e-reader. It calls for quilter's plastic to use as a stabilizer inside the book-like cover. I also want to make a plastic version of the template so I don't have to keep printing out the different pieces and trying to trace around paper. Is there a good alternative to quilter's plastic for these uses? I was thinking I could search the dollar store for something laminated and sturdy that I could cut. Any other ideas? I want to keep cost down because if I can make a nice cover at a workable price I want to try to sell some. Thanks!

Marilynsgrammy

Re: What is a cheaper alternative to quilter's plastic?

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 am

hi Lynn... if you take a copy of the template to a glass place they can cut out a plexiglass template for you.. not sure what the cost is but it will last forever...

if you are only looking for thick plastic sometimes you can find dividers.. try a stationary store.... I bought a 12 inch art tote and it had thicker dividers in it...

good luck.. and post pictures of those covers.. we like ot ooohhh and awwww

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:25 am

Sometimes bacon comes with a nice sheet of plastic under the bacon. It might be close to the right size for an e-reader. I've cut templates from milk cartons. Keep your eyes open and look at everything differently...

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 pm

QIAD used to sell template plastic. I'm not sure if they still have it but it is perfect for making strong, lasting templates and it is not expensive.

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 am

What about the foam core board? At the local Hobby Lobby they have a special product just for the covers but it is pricey.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Look for plastic placemats, sometimes you can find them for $1.00. Try the dollar stores.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 am

Stores have plastic placemats when I tired of them, they become my templates for quilting. Replacing mylard. Is that what you are referring. And again you could laminate your own at print shop stores.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Maybe I misunderstood your question, Nancy Zimmerman had a show/tell tutorial on E-reader covers, and plastic was the factor. Can't remember the site, but Nancy Zimmerman..

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Wed May 28, 2014 4:41 am

You have probably found something by now, but my suggestion would be the plastic 'cutting board' sheets in the kitchen dept. I have used one of those for template material. They aren't very expensive and usually has 3-4 in a package.

Lyn

Linda.Ann

Post by Linda.Ann » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:15 am

If you can find it, Shrinky-Dinks plastic sheets work perfectly. ToysRus used to sell it. I have seen it at craft store, Michael''''s or Hobby Lobby, but cannot remember which one.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”