Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Rotary Cutter

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Lynsbeat

Rotary Cutter

Post by Lynsbeat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:06 pm

I am beginning to get into quilting hard time. I have a regular, just straight rotary cutter and am beginning to have the aches and pains in my hands. Does anyone know if the rotary cutter that you squeeze from below or the one you put your thumb on top would be better?

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Rotary Cutter

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:38 am

Hi Lyn... there are quite a few rotory cutters out there... mine is a Fiskers and I click the blade out and click it in.. I don't have to push anything but my thumb stays on top of the handle..

for me it works because the part I hold is a little fatter than the popcicle shaped ones... it's too bad you can't try them out before buying them...

hope you find what you're looking for.

Chriss
Psalm 91

homegirl

Post by homegirl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:37 pm

You can also try the ergonomic ones. I have one and am getting used to it and really like it. Easy on the hand and arm.

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:50 pm

What about going to your local quilt shop and see if they have some that you can use for a trial run? Several of the shops around here use them to cut the fabric.

Suzette
Suzette

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

I have a Martelli rotary cutter. It is fantastic. You don't have to bend your wrist at all to cut. It takes a little time to get use to using it. The key is to put your index finger over the blade. You can go to the Martelli website and see them. I won't use anything else now.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”