Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Permanent marker. Bleeding

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
ollie1shoe

Permanent marker. Bleeding

Post by ollie1shoe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:53 pm

I have been using a black fine point permanent marker to draw around my template and then my 6inch ruler when I use the rotary cutter but seems like it is bleeding to wide a mark is this what everyone uses. Wish I could just cut around the template with out marking it but found out the hard way my blade keeps nicking the corners of template and before long I'm afraid my template wil be off a little so come on seasoned quilters how do you do this without the mark being to wide

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Permanent marker. Bleeding

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 am

Glenda, I am not seasoned, a little rusty maybe... but definatly not seasoned...lol... I use a cheap pencil... one of those kind you click the lead down... for me it works well and doesn't show through when I sew...

or, is the tip of your marker getting frayed? that could cause sudden blurring of your lines...

hope this helps,
Chriss
Psalm 91

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 am

I just got introduced to frixion pens Glenda....about the consistancy of a a gel pen but the ink disappears with heat,,,so gone when you press. very fine lines too....xxxooo

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Never heard of frixon pen where do you get them? Also i will try another marker but it seems to be good still got good point

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 am

I use a pencil and trace as lightly as possible on the wrong side of the fabric. I was amazed to see quilt teachers using markers.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:41 am

Someone (SallyC? or grammiequilts?) told me when we were in IN for Eleanor's induction into the Quilters Hall of Fame last month NOT to use the FriXion pen on batiks, as when you iron it, the pen mark does go away, but it leaves a white line on the fabric. I tried it in an inconspicuous place on a batik I was getting ready to quilt, and sure enough, it did leave a little white line when ironed. I really think that if I had quilted on that line, it would not show, but I am just passing on this information. I have used the FriXion pen on other fabrics and it disappears like magic when you iron it.

I have also used the Marvy Erasable Fabric Marker, which is advertised to "disappear automatically in 2-14 days", but my experience is that it disappears MUCH faster than that. I marked a quilt before lunch one day and when I went back to it an hour later, the marks were all gone! Just warning you!

I'd love to hear what everyone recommends!

Oh, forgot to say to Glenda: You can probably find FriXion pens at your quilt shop, but they are available at office supply stores like Staples or Office Max. They come in MANY colors. QIAD has had them, but when I did a search here just now, they did not come up. We had them in black and blue, both singly and in 2 packs in Paducah in April.

Edited to say that when I typed in Frixion pen, nothing came up, but after I posted this, I just typed in pen and LOTS of things came up, including the Frixion pen in 2 packs, both blue and black. Here's the site for the black: http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/n ... sp?i=38573
Sorry, I don't know how to do that clickable link thing!

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for all the feed back it is all helpful this is truly the best place to find out about products new and old I had never heard of thee frixion pens happy quilting everyone

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:25 am

Glenda, I never use pens of any kind, but pencils only. And as light a hand as possible. No problems.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”