Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thread

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
sassybwbk

Thread

Post by sassybwbk » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 pm

What is the best type of thread to use when piecing and machine quilting (free motion quilting). There are just to many and not sure the best kind.

Suzquilts

Re: Thread

Post by Suzquilts » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:20 am

I use Aurifil in a medium gray for piecing and anything King Tut or Sulky for quilting. The Aurifil is on an orange spool (the different colored spools are for different uses). Have never had any issues with any of these brands and I love the wide variety of varigated threds that King Tut has available.

Hope this helps.

Susan

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I will piece with thread from Connecting Threads - it is great for piecework - but for machine quilting my favorite and the only thread my quilting machine likes is King Tut.

ruthnvi

Post by ruthnvi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 am

It just depends on the fabrics. If you want something that will basically "melt" into the fabric try Superior Threads/Bottom Line. It's a really fine poly thread that actually picks up the colors surrounding it. I've seen white thread used on dark fabric and you can barely see it, it looks great.

If you want the thread to show up with a little bit of fun added, Superior Threads King Tut is great!

Solid Threads - Aurifil is great.

Just remember, different threads work differently depending on the machine when you're quilting.

When I'm piecing, I use Coats 100% Cotton from Joanns or a favorite - Connecting threads Cotton in a taupe.

Just remember to try it on a scrap "sandwich" to make sure the thread works well with your machine.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”