Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What rotary cutter do you use?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
bzquiltin

What rotary cutter do you use?

Post by bzquiltin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Does anyone have any ideas about a comfortable rotary cutter? I use the 45 mm Olfa but I am starting to get some arthritis and problems with my wrists. I have the ergonomics model, but still have pain if I do a lot of cutting. I know there are a lot of good brands out there. Any advice?

auntjana

Re: What rotary cutter do you use?

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:01 am

Many who have arthritis problems use the Accu-cutter with the dies. Cuts the fabric without the pain of using a rotary cutter. My favorite rotary cutter is the smaller olfa 28mm - cuts very nicely for me - the bigger one just seems clumsy to me. I have used both and really like the smaller one.

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:04 pm

I use a Gingher rotary cutter. I find it to fit my hand well and the blades seem to stay sharp longer than other brands.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 am

Mostly I use an Olfa cutter. Couldn't ever get used to the Martelli one, though I know several quilters who love them. Gave mine away to a forum friend a couple of years ago. I do recommend changing blades pretty often - easier on your wrist and on the mat!

nana

Post by nana » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:12 pm

i use a Martelli i love it. i broke my wrist and was having trouble using my regular one. and the teacher at our quilting class gave me it to use and i love it and of course my mom bought it for me so we could quilt together i do like it a lot mine is 45 mm.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 am

I alternate between my Martelli and my Gingher. Like them both. If you haven't seen the Martelli, it's a different animal. It's more like it has a handle that you hold from a different angle. Really rests the wrist. But sometimes I find the blade wobbles. I generally chalk that up to operator error, though.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:47 am

I use a Martelli. The trick for cutting using this one is to put your index finger up on the top over the blade protector while cutting. I think the instructions tell you this but not everyone reads the instructions. I saw it demonstrated at the Houston quilt show and the guy stressed your index finger placement. Anyway, with this cutter you don't have to twist your wrist at all - it marvelous. No, I don't own stock in Martelli.

BJSmith

Post by BJSmith » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 am

Has anyone tried the therapy gloves? I found them in the clotilde catalog and wonder if they are worth the purchase. I also have arthritis and cutting, especially, is rough on my fingers, wrists and elbows. About the only thing that I've found that works is to take a break every 15minutes or so and then go back to it. Also helps to take anti-inflammatory meds.(ask your dr. first) BEFORE you start cutting or sitting at the machine for long periods. Don't wait till you're already hurting, the meds. don't work as well under those circumstances. Can you guess that I'm a retired nurse? Yeah, i know.... Once a nurse, always a nurse!

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”