Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Design wall help needed

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
bjpaprocki

Design wall help needed

Post by bjpaprocki » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I have finally set up my sewing room and am looking for tips on a design wall. I have fiberboard sliding doors on the closet that I was thinking of using. Suggestions for
fabric - felt or flannel
how to adhere it- double face tape?

Thanks for the tips, Barb

kenderosa

Re: Design wall help needed

Post by kenderosa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Barb~ I use a flannel sheet that I hang from the ceiling with small binder clips. There are no seams or bumpy areas. I take it down to wash every now and then. Also easy to store if need be.
I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions as I have seen many different ways of doing this. Good luck!

Sue

Suzquilts

Post by Suzquilts » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 pm

I bought two yards of wide felt at Joann's with a coupon and put it up on the wall with push pins behind the door of my studio. It has never sagged and I simply run a sticky roller brush over it occasionally to take off loose threads. Blocks and fabric stick to it very well.

Susan

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:51 pm

I used a sheet of house insulation the pink stuff then I covered it twice with white flannel and put tape on the back of it then nailed it to the wall. It works great I gave my first class a couple of weeks ago and I needed something for the blocks so I took it off of the wall and used it. It's pretty big but it worked well. We hung it with the regular picture hanging nails.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:03 pm

I also used a sheet of that stiff pink house insulation (2'x4') and covered it with flannel. I just leave it leaning against the wall, or behind a door until I need it. So far, I've only made the one, but sometimes, another one would be useful. But if I want a bigger space I just vacuum the living room floor and lay my blocks out there (after discussing this with the cats and the dog, of course. lol!)

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:46 am

Using foam from big items packages. ie dvd player, tv, glue or hang on nail, provided my cat doesn't find its foam, cause he'll shred it to bits...a mess to clean.. No cost involved.

Annielourn

Post by Annielourn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

I have sliding wood doors on the closet in my sewing room. Not too much wall space available otherwise. So, I hung up a cheap plastic tablecloth with the fabric side facing me on the doors. Used the blue wallpaper tape and it is a great design wall for up to lap sized quilts. Very inexpensive solution.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am

I use the flannel side of a vinyl table cloth. I sewed a rod pocket on it. I thread it through a 2 closet rod pole. I have hooks on top of my closet doors it hooks on. This way I can take it down when I need the pull out couch for one of my kids to use when they visit.

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Fri May 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Another idea...I, too, bought the 72" wide felt. I needed something washable (we live on a dirt road and the dust is something else!). I got Roman shade tape with rings already attatched, sewed it to one edge, and hung it on the wall with small picture hooks. Works great and was very economical.

Carole

quiltingb5

Post by quiltingb5 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 am

I also found some 72 in felt. I bought 2 yards then sewed wide grograin ribbon across the top and then placed large grommets every 12 in through the ribbon I placed cup hooks above my double closet doors and hang the felt when I need it. I can roll it up when not in use

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”