Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Home Made Spray Starch

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
corning

Home Made Spray Starch

Post by corning » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I found these "recipes" on Pinterest. Similar to Best Press. We have heard it doesn't contain a food starch that might attract bugs.

2 cups of water or 1 C water and 1 C vodka
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 drops lavendar oil

Pour in spray bottle. Shake before using. Good for 2 or 3 days. Can be refrigerated for a month. One says to bring water to boil first, others didn't. The alcohol is a preservative so might last longer.

SharonS

momof6quilts

Re: Home Made Spray Starch

Post by momof6quilts » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for the recipe... I don't have vodka on hand here, I wonder if it's just for a preservative?

Vicky

Texas

Re: Home Made Spray Starch

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:53 am

The vodka might be for us beginners who are doing our best slaving and many sleepless nights to make perfectly square blocks no matter how many times you cut them,and they look perfect according to all the rulers I have bought, when you sew them together they STILL aren't square. Then comes the ripper, sew them again then pull some hair out then sniff the spray starch haha Thanks for the recipe! I don't have it on hand either never buy the stuff BUT I think I need it. I am still trying and refuse to give up. Going to a beginners class in a couple of weeks, think I'll take my spray starch lol

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”