Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Seam Ripper help needed

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
TooMuchFabric

Seam Ripper help needed

Post by TooMuchFabric » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:26 am

Ripping with a larger seam ripper seems very difficult for me. I am looking for a very fine pointed seam ripper. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!!!

purrfect-lady

Re: Seam Ripper help needed

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:10 am

About 18 months ago, one of my magazines did a comparison evaluation of about 10 different kinds and brands of seam rippers. It was in either The Quilter, American Patchwork & Quilting, or McCall's. Sorry I can't remember which. I do recall that one that was pretty fancy-dan and expensive was not the winner. I like my Clover the best of the 4 I have. It's white and has a comfortable fat grip, and I can just run it along the stitches. Don't bother with cheapy off brands from Walmart.

On a related note, sometimes I just nip about every 4th stitch and then can pull off the back thread and I don't have quite so many tiny little threads to pick off.

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 pm

clover is the very best one for me and believe me i got lots of exspiernce using them i guess you dont have to guess why

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I have a tiny one that came with babylock machine,,,,it is super sharp and like Mary you can just zip it alonG and it takes out a good 2 or 3 inches at a time,,,,I laso found out (read somewhere) they get dull and need to be replaced....I laughed when I read that....a lot of ripping.

sidesaddles

Post by sidesaddles » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:43 am

I like doing it the way El does with the small 28mm rotary cutter.

ladypinkston

Post by ladypinkston » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I guess I am not the only who needed to get a new seam ripper. I had one that lasted a very long time (lots of use). Then another that never worked. Recently, I purchased a Fons & Porter one with a nice handle grip. I used a Joann's coupon to get a discount. This one works very good.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”