Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

IRONS!

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
purrfect-lady

IRONS!

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:10 am

I am so disgusted! In 3 years I've gone through 1 Shark and 2 Rowenta irons. The only dependable iron I have is the Proctor-Silex that I got at the Goodwill for $4. Yesterday my not very old Rowenta started making snap/crackle/pop sounds. I looked at it and it was smoking! I barely touched it down to my pressing surface and it immediately burned in a brown imprint! How lucky that I didn't leave the room and forget to turn it off! I had another Rowenta that only lasted a year, and the Shark also overheated, the handle burning my hand - after only 6 months. Can anyone make a decent iron any more?

auntjana

Re: IRONS!

Post by auntjana » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 am

I don't think so - it seems that all manufacturers have started using the idea of planned obsolessence - a short life span so that they can make more money - what happened to ethics!

My Oliso iron - which I love has been acting up too - the sensor that tells the feet to lift out of the way seems not to work at times! Otherwise it is a great iron - I will buy another - I love the convenience of not having to stand it up each time I use it. Just slide it over out of the way - and go on with what I am doing.

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:29 am

Mary, my theory.....buy the cheapest iron I can find. Never use water. Then toss out when shot! Seems that's what is happening no matter which brand, make or model.

Sue

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 pm

I absolutely love my Sunbeam that I bought at Costco and i use filtered water as I love to press with steam :)

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:29 am

I wish I still had my Black N Decker $12 iron.. but I traded up and got a Rowenta... it's ok but like Sue said.. I can't use water in it... I have to use a spray bottle instead....

hope you find a great iron soon.

Exodus 33:14

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:22 am

I am a Rowenta Lady not to long ago I purchased a new one and it's the professanal I always use distilled water because our water is hard.

Lois

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:25 am

They don't make things like they used to. I had an iron that overheated. It made me very mad. I've tried all different ones and the Rowenta is my favorite. I got it on sale at Joann's. Good luck.
Lori 8-)

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm with Kenderosa. I buy a cheap iron from Walmart, my only requirement is that it NOT have an auto shut-off. I use distilled water and pitch it when it dies. I think the one I'm using now cost about $10.

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:17 am

I have a Rowenta and have used it for about 15 years. But, I am fussy about what goes in it. I use distilled water, clean the bottom good with Iron off, make sure it is not within a distance of any thing with sticky substance on it, cautious as to who uses it, and it has been a great iron. It is sad to hear your story about how it has served you. I trust you find a good one that you can trust and count on. It is so dishearting to hear of a material that has been ruined.
Best of luck to find a good one.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:33 am

I agree with Kenderosa and Marilynsgrammy. I don't put water in it, I use a spray bottle and I buy a $20 Black and Decker, stainless steel iron from Walgrens. It is heavy, which I like, it presses better, and I always keep a spare on the shelf in the garage. I definitely don't like the "auto off" feature, I put a colored hair ponytail band on my arm to help me remember it is on. When it is done, I toss it and plug in a new one. I had a Rowenta from Joanns, it lasted about 2 months and started spitting and I felt it didn't get hot enough either. But I might not have had a good model. I like ironing so my board is always up. My friends just shake their heads. My DIL doesn't even have an iron. lol

Good Luck Mary, it is definitely a personal preference as to what you want from an iron.

Linda
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”